Excited people post pictures as Islington enjoys dusting of snow
- Credit: Archant
Thrilled residents woke up to a dusting of snow across Islington this morning, as the cold spell continues across the county.
People took to Twitter to post pictures of the borough’s landmarks sprinkled in snowflakes, or make disparaging comments about the limited amount of the white stuff.
Dee baker said: “Pitiful amount of snow in Islington. But is it enough for me to claim a snow day?”
Less than an inch fell over night as thermometers dropped below freezing.
Hermantes Basha said: “Is anyone else super excited about the snow?”
You may also want to watch:
There could be more on the way though, with temperatures predicted to stay cold, alongside plenty of cloud cover.
A spokesman for Islington Council said the gritters were out in force at around 1am this morning, and will carry on during the rest of the cold snap.
- 1 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 2 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 3 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 4 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 5 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 6 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 7 Meet Charrli - the Islington start-up facilitating zero-waste shopping
- 8 Tony Blair joins celebration to mark 101 years of Highbury Catholic church
- 9 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 10 Arsenal youngsters Hennessy and Goldie selected for England under 19s
A warning has been issued by the Met Office for greater London advising that adverse weather could badly effect public transport through to the weekend, while several news outlets have predicted “Siberian winds” to bring temperatures well below freezing.
The Met Office warning forecast that snow showers could penetrate from the coast to central areas
“Rain and sleet is more likely near exposed coasts but slightly further inland local snow accumulations of 1-3 cm are possible above and around 100m.
“The public should be aware of the potential for disruption to travel.”
Send us your best snow photos by Twitter or facebook.