Gritters out as Islington Council prepares for winter freeze
- Credit: Archant
A fleet of more than 20 vehicles, 350 staff and 600 tonnes of grit and salt will be used to weather the winter storm in Islington as temperatures begin to plummet.
The borough’s winter service plan has been pulled off the shelf, dusted off and updated and this year the council has vowed to keep the borough moving once again come rain or snow.
Grit was scattered across the borough’s roads on Tuesday night for the first time this winter as the council began its offensive on the ice.
This signalled the beginning of the borough’s plan which will run until March.
Cllr Rakhia Ismail, Islington Council’s executive member for sustainability said: “We’ve been carefully planning for the worst winter weather so we can keep Islington safe and moving.
You may also want to watch:
“Borough salt is stockpiled, and we’ve maintained our fleet of gritters and deployed staff where they are most needed.
“Our priority response means we’ll concentrate on tackling ice and snow near hospitals, fire and ambulance stations, schools, and on main roads.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 6 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 7 Almost 5,000 Islington people pinged by Covid app in one week
- 8 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder
“To help residents, we also have grit bins across Islington and advice on clearing snow and ice from pavements.”
In 2012-13 the council treated more than 3,000 miles of road, with approximately 400 tonnes of salt on roads and another 100 on pavements.
A few key main routes, including Upper Street and Holloway Road, are gritted by Transport for London.
For the council’s self-help guide to clearing ice and snow, and for more on the winter road treatment programmes, see www.islington.gov.uk/gritting