Gritters out as Islington Council prepares for winter freeze
- Credit: Archant
A fleet of more than 20 vehicles, 350 staff and 600 tonnes of grit and salt will be used to weather the winter storm in Islington as temperatures begin to plummet.
The borough’s winter service plan has been pulled off the shelf, dusted off and updated and this year the council has vowed to keep the borough moving once again come rain or snow.
Grit was scattered across the borough’s roads on Tuesday night for the first time this winter as the council began its offensive on the ice.
This signalled the beginning of the borough’s plan which will run until March.
Cllr Rakhia Ismail, Islington Council’s executive member for sustainability said: “We’ve been carefully planning for the worst winter weather so we can keep Islington safe and moving.
“Borough salt is stockpiled, and we’ve maintained our fleet of gritters and deployed staff where they are most needed.
“Our priority response means we’ll concentrate on tackling ice and snow near hospitals, fire and ambulance stations, schools, and on main roads.
- 1 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 2 Plea date set for man accused of Sabita Thanwani killing
- 3 Call to get vaccinated amid Covid surge
- 4 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 5 International food festival coming to Islington this month
- 6 'Mistrust and fear' of services fuelling Islington BAME employment gap, research finds
- 7 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 8 'Save Islington's buses': Call for action as sweeping cuts loom
- 9 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 10 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
“To help residents, we also have grit bins across Islington and advice on clearing snow and ice from pavements.”
In 2012-13 the council treated more than 3,000 miles of road, with approximately 400 tonnes of salt on roads and another 100 on pavements.
A few key main routes, including Upper Street and Holloway Road, are gritted by Transport for London.
For the council’s self-help guide to clearing ice and snow, and for more on the winter road treatment programmes, see www.islington.gov.uk/gritting