Film review: Welcome to Curiosity
- Credit: Archant
Curiosity, it’ll get you every time.
The world’s first equity crowdfund film; made by a director during his bail period before having to serve a three and half year prison sentence for an historical mortgage fraud; let’s have a look at that. I’m a proper mug ain’t I?
The story starts with a psycho escaping, the shock of which is slightly undercut by the fact that every other inhabitant of Cornish village Curiosity seems to be some kind of sociopath.
Darren Ripley’s script is a hectic mishmash of favourite films; a multi-stranded narrative stringing together a heist, a small kid trying to find a serial killer, a wimpy salesman falling under the spell of a callous hitman, and nowhere enough time to do justice to any of them.
The acting is variable, but for a film that cost £200,000, it looks pretty slick. It’s not terrible, but it doesn’t work on any level.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 3 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 4 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 5 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 6 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 7 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'