Wenger anticipates return of Diaby will be like new signing
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
The return of Abou Diaby will feel like a new signing, Arsene Wenger has insisted.
The Arsenal boss has however urged caution over the injury prone midfielder who, after three months out with a thigh problem, could be included in the squad to face Manchester City tomorrow provided he shows no reaction to playing for the under-21s in midweek.
The combative 26-year-old Frenchman put in a starring performance in the 2-0 win against Liverpool at Anfield at the start of the campaign and looked to have shaken off his injury woes that saw him miss all but four matches last term.
But he pulled up in the 2-1 defeat to Chelsea in September and hasn’t played since.
Wenger said: “Let’s touch wood, that he will get stability without injury. He cannot be at the top today but it is very important that he comes back and plays until the end of the season.
You may also want to watch:
“That would be like a new signing for us.”
- 1 Tributes paid to 'Gooner legend' who died of Covid 'caught at Euros final'
- 2 Appeal for information after boy, 15, stabbed in back
- 3 Upper Street coffee shop to start selling "quality" wine despite noise objections
- 4 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 5 Second man charged with murder of Taylor Cox in Islington
- 6 Letters on Low Traffic Neighbourhoods
- 7 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 8 In pictures: Pond-dipping, singing and mindfulness at Gillespie Park fun day
- 9 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 10 Britannia Leisure Centre and the changing face of Shoreditch Park