Wenger confirms Arsenal’s Ramsey talks
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Arsene Wenger has revealed Arsenal are in talks with Aaron Ramsey over a new contract.
The Gunners have come under the spotlight for their contract negotiations as they have at times failed to tie their top names down.
Mesut Ozil has signed a new contract but Alexis Sanchez was allowed to leave in January when it was clear he had no intention of committing his future to the club.
Jack Wilshere captained the side in Sunday’s 3-0 Premier League win over Stoke but his deal expires in the summer and although Ramsey’s current deal runs to the end of next season, there is likely to be a queue of suitors should he enter a similar situation to Wilshere.
Wales international Ramsey showed his class with another fine display and two goals against CSKA Moscow in the Europa League on Thursday and Wenger said: “We are communicating. Yes, I’m confident, he’s not at the end of his contract, he has one and a half years to go.
“From my side it is clear, but you always have to find an agreement. We want him to stay. He’s been here a long time. He will be an important player in the future of this club.”
While making it clear he is keen for Ramsey to stay beyond 2019, Wenger said he only wants players who want to play for Arsenal.
- 1 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 2 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 3 'All I could see was the water coming up': Clean-up begins after Holloway flooding
- 4 Polio virus found in Islington sewage
- 5 'Like a tsunami': Burst water main floods Islington street
- 6 Murder investigation after teenager stabbed in Islington park
- 7 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 8 'Extremely distressing': Council leader's shock after Highbury Fields stabbing
- 9 Hospital trust increasingly reliant on international medical staff
- 10 Finsbury Park man due in court charged with pub murder
“I don’t want to convince a player (they should sign),” he added. “I want the player to be happy to play for the club. Having players who want to play for the club is the way we want to play football and is in the values we feel are important to us. With the right amount of money we want to pay, all these things have to come together.”
Ramsey is enjoying a relatively injury-free spell having been hit by several setbacks since joining from Cardiff in June 2008.
He scored a hat-trick in the recent Premier League win over Everton and Wenger said: “Sometimes there is a re-occurrence of an injury.
“It is a little bit like an engine in Formula One, you have to find out where the problem matters and what you have to change. Sometimes it can be a single movement to change and that can take time.”