Wenger: Many players want to join us
- Credit: AP
Arsene Wenger has insisted that Arsenal remain an attractive option for the world’s top players as the close of the transfer window looms.
The Gunners boss has been criticised for failing to make significant additions to his squad since the end of last season – and has given up on his pursuit of top target, Liverpool striker Luis Suarez.
However, Arsenal have one foot in the draw for the group stages of the Champions League following Wednesday’s 3-0 win in Fenerbahce in the first leg of their play-off tie.
“The Champions League is the needed requirement for top players,” said Wenger. “Many players want to join us. All the players that have been here want to come back here.
“It’s not for my face – it’s just for the way we treat people and the football we try to play.
You may also want to watch:
“They find something here they want to know again somewhere else and believe me, many, many, many players ask to come back.”
One potential example of that is ex-Gunners midfielder Mathieu Flamini, a free agent who is currently training with the club following his release by AC Milan.
- 1 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 2 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 3 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 4 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 5 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 8 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 9 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 10 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
Wenger declined to confirm whether he would re-sign Flamini, who can also play at full-back, but added: “He works very hard – he’s always been a very dedicated player.
“Would he be ready to come back here? Certainly, yes.”
Arsenal head across London to face Fulham on Saturday at Craven Cottage, with Bacary Sagna expected to start at centre-back in place of the suspended Laurent Koscielny.