What’s going on in Islington this weekend
- Credit: Ivor Dembina
Our pick of the weekend’s action:
Enjoy an evening of top-flight entertainment from veteran comic Ivor Dembina, rock and roll comedian Rick Right and magic from Otiz Cannelloni, from 6.30 to 9pm at St Mary’s Community Centre, Upper Street, N1. Free, call 020 7713 9304.
Make the most out of a mixed programme of creative activities, advice, support, guidance and a creche for young parents (aged 14 to 19) and mums-to-be, from 10am to 2.30pm at Lift Youth Hub, White Lion Street, N1. Free, call 020 7669 4646.
Browse an intimate history of working life on the canal at Inland Voyage, the 1940s Canal Photography of Robert Longden, from 10am to 4.30pm at the London Canal Museum, New Wharf Road, N1. Costs £4, call 020 7713 0836.
You may also want to watch:
Shake a leg at this new weekly tea dance for the over 55s, from 6.30 to 9.30pm at the Claremont Centre, White Lion Street, N1. Costs £5, call 0207 837 3402.
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 2 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 7 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 8 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
Expand the mind of your offspring to a better future that could be achieved if all of us demand and make changes in our lives and cities – featuring colouring and sketching at this workshop run by Semisotano Architects, from 11am to 7pm at Islington Museum, St John Street, EC1. Costs £7, to book email email@example.com
Gaze at more than 400 pictures by some world renowned photographers at Everything Was Moving: Photography from the 60s and 70s, until January 13 at the Barbican, Silk Street, EC2. Costs £12 (£10 online), call 020 7638 8891.
See panoramic views of London and unique wildlife with this sponsored Nordic Walk from Alexandra Palace to Finsbury Park for Age UK Islington, from 11am at Alexandra Palace, N10. Donations £5 to £15 per person, call 07900 888438.
Relax with a drink and some acoustic music at Live and Unamplified, featuring a rather tasty selection of orchestral acoustic music, from 7.30 to 10.30pm at The Book Club, Leonard Street, EC2. Costs £3, call 020 7684 8618.
Discover how one man’s trash is another’s treasure at this jumble sale featuring vintage clothes, amazing records, DVDs and general bric-a-brac, from 1 to 5pm at the Lexington, Pentonville Road, N1. Free, call 020 7837 5371.
Start the new year with fists of fury at these chi kung classes. Every Sunday, from 11am to noon, at Providence Court, Upper Street, N1, every Saturday, from 11.15am to 12.30pm and every Friday from 6.45pm to 7.45pm, at the Unity Church, Upper Street, N1. Call 07973 622240. The class costs £10 per lesson or £40 for five.