What’s on in Islington this bank holiday weekend
Our pick of the weekend’s action:
Get dewy-eyed with nostalgic jazz and swing from Ava Golding and Aled Thomas, from at Ajani Grill, Hornsey Road, N19. Free, call 020 7272 5566.
Give thanks to the Queen for all those years at the helm with this Jubilee party for the over 55s, from 1.30 to 3pm at the Claremont Centre, White Lion Street, N1. Free, call 0207 837 3402.
You may also want to watch:
Thrill to Lee Thompson (of Madness fame) and his Ska Orchestra, from 7pm at the Islington Assembly Hall, Upper Street, N1. Costs �19.50, call 020 7527 8900.
Try a punk-style celebration with Feeling Gloomy: Made In ’77, an alternative Jubilee party, from 8pm to 3.30am at The 02 Islington Academy, Parkfield Street, N1. Cost �6 before midnight (�8 after) call 0844 477 2000.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 8 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
Cut a rug with Blue Note jazz from the Prospective Trio, from 8pm at Ajani Grill, Hornsey Road, N19. Free, call 020 7272 5566.
Take a wander round some private gardens for charity, from 2-6pm at Olden Garden and Barnsbury Wood N5, Battlebridge Court, Hemingford Road and Thornhill Square, N1 Prices vary, call 020 7226 6880.
Practice some Jubilee martial arts with these Chi Kung classes, from 11am to noon, on Sunday, in Providence Court, N1; from 8.45 to 9.45am, on Saturday, at Yogabase, in Liverpool Road, N1 and from 6.45 to 7.45pm, on Friday at Moving Arts Base, in Liverpool Road, N1, and Cost �12/10 or �40 for a block of five, call 07973 622240.
Be transported to old Louisiana with an evening of Americana inspired music and performances set in New Orleans in 1933, from 7.30 to 10pm at the Old Fire Station, Mayton Street, N7. Costs �5, email email@example.com.
March to the beat of your own drum at these beginners Djembi classes from the Finsbury Park Arts Club, from 7 to 9pm in Finsbury Park, N4. Free, call 07912 031622.
Avoid needing cod liver oil with hips knees backs and balance, a new kind of fitness class for the over-55s, from 2.30 to 3.30pm at the Claremont Centre, White Lion Street, N1. Costs �4, call 020 7241 3192.
Join in a royal bash and make your own crowns of glory to celebrate, from 8pm at Drink, Shop and Do, Caledonian road, N1. Free, call 020 7278 4335
Fill your belly at this Healthy Lunch Club, from 1pm at the Old Fire Station, Mayton Street, N7. Two fresh courses for �33, call 020 7 607 9794.
Stay calm with a focused, joyful, spiritually infused meditation and evolution programme, from 7 to 9pm at the Enlighten Next UK Centre, Windsor Street, N1. Costs �5 (�7 light supper available afterwards), email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.