What’s on in Islington this weekend
Our pick of the weekend’s action
Kick back and relax to the annual jazz voice extravaganza, a curtain raiser for the London Jazz Festival, compered by Victoria Wood, from 7.30pm at the Barbican Hall, Silk Street, EC2. Costs �10 to �30, call 020 7638 8891 for more information.
Practice an ancient martial art at these Chi Kung sessions, every Friday from 6.45pm to 7.45pm and every Saturday from 11.15am to 12.30am at Unity Church, Upper Street, N1, and every Sunday from 11am to 12noon at Providence Court, Upper Street, N1, For more information call 07973 622240. Costs �10 per lesson or �40 for five lessons.
You may also want to watch:
Reflect on the fallen at Passing-Bells, a remembrance concert organised by Poems on the Underground, from 7.30pm at LSO St Lukes, Old Street, EC1. Costs �15 (�10 concessions), call 0845 120 7552 for more information.
Learn how to make felt and gain insight into the magical properties of wool at this felt making class, from 10am to 12.30pm or 1.30 to 4pm at the King Henry’s Walk Garden, N1. Cots �20, call 0790 1931018 for more information.
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 2 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 5 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 6 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 7 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 10 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
Take a look an exhibition of work by mosaic artist Naomi Selig, and grab a bite at the same time, all day at the Blue Legume, Upper Street, N1, until January 10. Free, visit www.naomiselig.co.uk,
Find out how to cast on, plain and purl stitch, and how to cast off at this knitting lesson, from 10am to 12.30pm at the King Henry’s Walk Garden, N1. Cots �20, call 0790 1931018 for more information.
Enjoy some acoustic music from Nuala Honan, Amber States, Dom Cyote, Mark Abis and Sarah E. Beresford at Live and Unamplified, from 7.30 to 11.30pm at The Book Club, Leonard Street, EC2. Costs �3, call 020 7684 8618 for more information.
Get freestyling on a single hook with this crocheting class, from 1.30 to 4pm at the King Henry’s Walk Garden, N1. Cots �20, call 07901 931018 for more information.