What’s on in Islington this weekend
Our pick of the weekend’s action
Kick back and relax to the annual jazz voice extravaganza, a curtain raiser for the London Jazz Festival, compered by Victoria Wood, from 7.30pm at the Barbican Hall, Silk Street, EC2. Costs �10 to �30, call 020 7638 8891 for more information.
Practice an ancient martial art at these Chi Kung sessions, every Friday from 6.45pm to 7.45pm and every Saturday from 11.15am to 12.30am at Unity Church, Upper Street, N1, and every Sunday from 11am to 12noon at Providence Court, Upper Street, N1, For more information call 07973 622240. Costs �10 per lesson or �40 for five lessons.
Reflect on the fallen at Passing-Bells, a remembrance concert organised by Poems on the Underground, from 7.30pm at LSO St Lukes, Old Street, EC1. Costs �15 (�10 concessions), call 0845 120 7552 for more information.
Learn how to make felt and gain insight into the magical properties of wool at this felt making class, from 10am to 12.30pm or 1.30 to 4pm at the King Henry’s Walk Garden, N1. Cots �20, call 0790 1931018 for more information.
- 1 Siblings open community-oriented park coffee hut
- 2 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 3 Homes under the Planner: Schemes submitted or approved in Islington in June
- 4 Karate champion helps children to build confidence through martial arts
- 5 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 6 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 7 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 8 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 9 CCTV: Woman sexually assaulted at Highbury & Islington station
- 10 Islington scammers jailed after preying on elderly victims
Take a look an exhibition of work by mosaic artist Naomi Selig, and grab a bite at the same time, all day at the Blue Legume, Upper Street, N1, until January 10. Free, visit www.naomiselig.co.uk,
Find out how to cast on, plain and purl stitch, and how to cast off at this knitting lesson, from 10am to 12.30pm at the King Henry’s Walk Garden, N1. Cots �20, call 0790 1931018 for more information.
Enjoy some acoustic music from Nuala Honan, Amber States, Dom Cyote, Mark Abis and Sarah E. Beresford at Live and Unamplified, from 7.30 to 11.30pm at The Book Club, Leonard Street, EC2. Costs �3, call 020 7684 8618 for more information.
Get freestyling on a single hook with this crocheting class, from 1.30 to 4pm at the King Henry’s Walk Garden, N1. Cots �20, call 07901 931018 for more information.