What’s on in Islington this weekend
Our pick of the weekend’s action:
Celebrate Tenebrae, the traditional Christian Good Friday service, at the New Unity Church, Upper Street, N1. Free, email email@example.com.
Hear Deborah Brown sing the Great American Songbook, plus Guillermo Rozenthuler and Francesco Petreni, from 8pm at Kings Place, York Way, N1. Costs �19.50, call 020 7520 1440.
Focus your energy at Chi Kung classes, from 6.45pm to 7.45pm on Fridays at Moving Arts Base, in Liverpool Road, N1; from 8.45am to 9.45am on Saturdays at Yogabase, in Liverpool Road, N1, and 11am to noon on Sundays, in Providence Court, N1. Sessions cost �10/12, or �40 for a block of five. Call 07973 622240 for more.
You may also want to watch:
Watch the boat race on a big screen in the company of two ales from Oxford and two ales from Cambridge, all day at the Clarendon, Mildmay Park, N1. Free, call 020 7249 6430 for more information.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 5 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 6 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 7 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 8 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
Get creative at this art class for all abilities, taught by local artist Jon Britten, from 2 to 4.30pm, at Highbury Baptist Church, Highbury Place, N5. Eight sessions cost �60 (�35 concessions), call 07786 760437.
Create your own pimp-cup using glue, stickers and paint while 90s hip-hop plays, from 8pm at Drink, Shop and do, Caledonian Road, N1. Free, call 020 7278 4335.
Check out a stellar line up including the legendary Alan Braxe, Fenech Soler, Starsmith and Xander Milner, from 3pm to 3am at the Old Queen’s Head in Essex Road, N1. Free before 7pm, �5 after, call 020 7354 9993.
Get deep and meaningful at this philosophy forum run by the Stuart Low Trust, running from 4pm until 6pm at a venue in Archway, N19. Call 020 7713 9304 to register.
See a host of bands play in the company of Sunday roasts and bloody Mary’s from 7.30pm at The Lexington, Pentonville Road, N1. Costs �5, call 0207 837 5371.
Help launch the bees and pollinators project and see bees, dress up as a beekeeper, and take part in an Easter bonnet parade, from 12noon to 4pm at Freightliners Farm. Sheringham Road, N7. Free, donations welcome, call 0207 609 0467 for more information.
Witness an Easter Broadcast, combining a live gig and radio show, featuring World Of Fox, the Gentle Good, My Glass World and The Vatican Cellars, from 7pm at the Union Chapel, Compton Terrace, N1. Costs �8 advance, call 020 7226 3750 for more information.
Get fit with this free sports dance course for young people, from 5pm to 7pm at Islington Arts and Media School, Turle. Free.