What’s on In Islington this weekend
Our pick of the weekend’s action:
Feel groovy as the Jolyon Bickerstaff ensemble swings into town from 8 to 10.30pm at Ajani Grill, Hornsey Road, N19. Call 020 7272 5566.
Listen to the folk stylings of Rachael Dadd, from 8pm at King’s Place, York Way, N1. Tickets from �9.50, call 020 7520 1490.
Hear visionary Van Dyke Parks perform with Britten Sinfonia and special guests Robin Pecknold and Daniel Rossen, from 7.30pm at the Barbican, Silk Street, EC2. Tickets from �15, call 020 7638 8891.
Check out Inner World/Inner Welt, a comprehensive overview of Avant Garde Viennese group Haus-Rucker-Co, from 12noon to 5.30pm Wednesday to Saturday until September 1 at the Work Gallery, Acton Street, WC1. Visit www.workgallery.co.uk.
- 1 40 firefighters called to scene as Highbury flat damaged
- 2 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 3 Gunners pub back open for Premier League climax
- 4 Man accused of sexual assaults in Camden and Islington bailed
- 5 'Wrong place, wrong time': Men convicted after fatal mistaken revenge shooting
- 6 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 7 Fast food chain Leon launches 80th restaurant in Angel
- 8 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 9 New community mural painted by residents unveiled in Stoke Newington
- 10 Boy, 13, arrested after teenager stabbed in Canonbury
Get to know your surroundings with a guided tour round Clerkenwell, including radicals, religion and rivers, from 2pm on Saturday and 11am on Wednesday at Farringdon Tube Station, Farringdon Road, EC1. Costs �6 (�5 concessions), email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Discover the secrets of Islington at the Angel’s Delights guided tour, from 2pm at Angel Tube Staion, N1. Costs �6 (�5 concs), children free, email email@example.com.
Ponder the meaning of life at this philosophy forum, open to newcomers, from 4 to 6pm at a venue in Archway, N19. Free, call 020 7713 9304 for more information.
Become ninja-esque at these Chi Kung classes, from 11am to noon, on Sunday, in Providence Court, N1; from 8.45 to 9.45am, on Saturday, at Yogabase, in Liverpool Road, N1 and from 6.45 to 7.45pm, on Friday at Moving Arts Base, in Liverpool Road, N1. Costs �12/10 or �40 for a block of five, call 07973 622240.
Make yourself a fascinator at this hat party, from 6 to 8pm at Craft Central, St John’s Square, EC1. Costs �19.99, including materials and a glass of wine, call 0207 2510276.
Take some exercise at hips, knees backs and balance, a new kind of fitness class for the over-55s, from 2.30 to 3.30pm at the Claremont Centre, White Lion Street, N1. Costs �4, call 020 7241 3192.
Look like your favourite 50’s siren in the comfort of cocktails, cake and friends at this vintage hair and make-up salon, from 7pm at Drink, Shop and Do, Caledonain Road, N1. Costs �15 for hair and make-up, �10 for hair, call 020 7278 4335.
Pound your own rhythm at these Djembi classes from the Finsbury Park Arts Club, from 7 to 9pm in Finsbury Park, N4. Free, call 07912 031622.