What’s on In Islington this weekend
Our pick of the weekend’s action:
Feel groovy as the Jolyon Bickerstaff ensemble swings into town from 8 to 10.30pm at Ajani Grill, Hornsey Road, N19. Call 020 7272 5566.
Listen to the folk stylings of Rachael Dadd, from 8pm at King’s Place, York Way, N1. Tickets from �9.50, call 020 7520 1490.
You may also want to watch:
Hear visionary Van Dyke Parks perform with Britten Sinfonia and special guests Robin Pecknold and Daniel Rossen, from 7.30pm at the Barbican, Silk Street, EC2. Tickets from �15, call 020 7638 8891.
Check out Inner World/Inner Welt, a comprehensive overview of Avant Garde Viennese group Haus-Rucker-Co, from 12noon to 5.30pm Wednesday to Saturday until September 1 at the Work Gallery, Acton Street, WC1. Visit www.workgallery.co.uk.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 4 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 5 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 6 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green
- 9 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 10 Summer in the city: 5 Things to do in Islington this weekend
Get to know your surroundings with a guided tour round Clerkenwell, including radicals, religion and rivers, from 2pm on Saturday and 11am on Wednesday at Farringdon Tube Station, Farringdon Road, EC1. Costs �6 (�5 concessions), email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Discover the secrets of Islington at the Angel’s Delights guided tour, from 2pm at Angel Tube Staion, N1. Costs �6 (�5 concs), children free, email email@example.com.
Ponder the meaning of life at this philosophy forum, open to newcomers, from 4 to 6pm at a venue in Archway, N19. Free, call 020 7713 9304 for more information.
Become ninja-esque at these Chi Kung classes, from 11am to noon, on Sunday, in Providence Court, N1; from 8.45 to 9.45am, on Saturday, at Yogabase, in Liverpool Road, N1 and from 6.45 to 7.45pm, on Friday at Moving Arts Base, in Liverpool Road, N1. Costs �12/10 or �40 for a block of five, call 07973 622240.
Make yourself a fascinator at this hat party, from 6 to 8pm at Craft Central, St John’s Square, EC1. Costs �19.99, including materials and a glass of wine, call 0207 2510276.
Take some exercise at hips, knees backs and balance, a new kind of fitness class for the over-55s, from 2.30 to 3.30pm at the Claremont Centre, White Lion Street, N1. Costs �4, call 020 7241 3192.
Look like your favourite 50’s siren in the comfort of cocktails, cake and friends at this vintage hair and make-up salon, from 7pm at Drink, Shop and Do, Caledonain Road, N1. Costs �15 for hair and make-up, �10 for hair, call 020 7278 4335.
Pound your own rhythm at these Djembi classes from the Finsbury Park Arts Club, from 7 to 9pm in Finsbury Park, N4. Free, call 07912 031622.