What’s on in Islington this weekend
Our pick of the weekend’s action:
See an exhibition by up-and-coming photographer Paulina Otyle Surys – In Absentia Lucis (meaning in absence of light), every day until November 11 at The Book Club, Leonard Street, EC2. Free, call 020 7684 8618.
Chill out while precociously talented jazz pianist William Butterworth does his thing, from 9.30pm to 12midnight at Ajani Grill, Hornsey Road, N19. Costs �5, call 020 7272 5566.
Take a boat ride down the Thames and see the sights organised for over 55s by the Claremont Centre, White Lion Street, N1. Free, but reserve a place on 0207 837 3402.
You may also want to watch:
Listen to a piano recital of works by Bach, Debussy and Prokofiev as part of the Islington Proms series, from 7.30pm at St James’ Church, Prebend Street, N1. Free, call 020 7226 4108.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 4 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 5 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 6 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 7 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 8 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
Start with a paper cup and a playlist of 90s hip hop, glue on some bling gems, and take it to the bar for a half price cocktail at Pimp Cut It Up, from 8pm Drink, Shop and Do, Caledonian Road, N1. Free, call 020 7278 4335.
Luxuriate in an evening of music by Bizet, Puccini and Verdi from a variety of performers, from 7.30pm at Newington Green Unitarian Church, Newington Green, N16. Cost �10, call 07809 144879.
Follow Islington’s history from Elizabethan village and Victorian centre of entertainment to one of London’s most fashionable addresses with this guided walk, from 2pm at Angel Tube Station, N1. Costs �6 (�5 concessions), visit www.ciga.org.uk
Relax with the music of Brahms and Szymanowski played by the London Symphony Orchestra, from 7.30pm at the Barbican, Silk Street, EC2. Tickets from �10, call 020 7638 8891.
Gaze into the mysteries of the Orient with these chi kung classes. Every Sunday from 11am to noon at Providence Court, Upper Street, N1, every Saturday, from 11.15am to 12.30pm and every Friday, from 6.45 to 7.45pm, at the Unity Church, Upper Street, N1. For more information call 07973 622240. Costs �10 a lesson or �40 for five.