What’s on in Islington this weekend?
- Credit: Archant
Our pick of the weekend’s action:
Check out 40 creative types selling truly affordable art at a New Artists’ Fair, from 6pm to 9pm, Friday and 11am to 7pm, Saturday and Sunday at Candid Galleries, Torrens Street, EC1. Free, visit www.newartisitsfair.com.
See celebrated ’80s band The Bible play a gig to coincide with the duluxe edition version of the Eureka album being released later this year, from 7pm, at the Islington Assembly Hall, Upper Street, N1. Tickets from £20, visit agmp.ticketabc.com.
Take part in a healthy, bracing and scenic walk at Nordic walking sessions for over-55s, from 2pm, at the Drovers Centre, North Road, N7. Costs £2, call 07900 888438.
You may also want to watch:
Dance a jig as Tir Eolas, a céilidh band, play a concert for the over-55s, from 2 to 3pm, at the Claremont Centre, White Lion Street, N1. Free, call 020 7837 3402.
Get involved with a club for older gentlemen at Friday Fellas, dedicated to gentlemen, from 11.30am to 4pm, at Sotheby Mews Day Centre, Sotheby Mews, N5. Costs £3.50 (including lunch and an exercise class). Call 020 7226 1421.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing
Pick up a bargain at a market for art, food and speciality items, from 9am to 5pm, on Caledonian Road, N1. Visit www.thecallymarket.com.
Express your creative side at an art class for all abilities, taught by artist Jon Britten, from 2 to 5pm, at Highbury Baptist Church, Highbury Place, N5. Eight sessions cost £84 (£64 concessions), visit drawingclassesforall.weebly.com.
Treat yourself to a jazz night with a performance from the Steve Waterman Trio with Dan Messore on guitar and Aidan
Thorne on double bass, from 9-11.30pm, at Ajani Grill, Hornsey Road, N19. Costs £6, call 020 7272 5566.
Take part in a full day of activities at which everyone is welcome at the monthly New Unity Day, at Newington Green Unitarian Church, Newington Green, N16. Free, call 07809 144879.
Find how to make proper pies with no soggy bottoms at a unique cookery class, from 10.45am to 3pm, at St Luke’s Community Centre, Central Street, EC1. Costs £60, all inclusive, email email@example.com.
Defend yourself by learning martial arts at chi kung classes, every Sunday, from 11am to noon, at Providence Court, Upper Street, N1, every Saturday, from 11.15am to 12.30pm and every Friday, from 6.45pm to 7.45pm, at the Unity Church, Upper Street, N1. Call 07973 622240. The class costs £10 per lesson or £40 for five.