What’s on Islington this weekend?
Our pick of the weekend’s action:
Hark at some spoken word from Pete the Temp, whose poetry cuts right to the nub of the disenchanted masses, from 6.30 to 9pm, at St Mary’s Community Centre, Upper Street, N1. Free, with refreshment provided, call 020 7713 9304.
Wiggle your hips in a most energetic manner at these hula and break-dance classes for the over-55s, from 2 to 3pm, at the Claremont Centre, White Lion Street, N1. Free, call 020 7837 3402.
Hear a thought-provoking seminar on how to close the inequality gaps for black and minority ethnic young people as part of Black History Month, from 9.45am to 4pm, at Voluntary Action Islington, Pentonville Road, N1. Costs �10, call 020 7832 5800.
Don your tutu at these introductory ballet classes for seven to nine-year-olds, from 5 to 5.30pm, at Islington Arts Factory, Parkhurst Road, N7. Cost �40 per term, call 020 7607 0561.
- 1 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 2 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 3 Inside the esports gaming arena coming to Islington's Upper Street
- 4 Landlord who did not provide kitchen for tenant fined £40,000
- 5 Finsbury Park man due in court charged with pub murder
- 6 'Like a tsunami': Burst water main floods Islington street
- 7 Murder investigation after teenager stabbed in Islington park
- 8 London among areas where drought is declared
- 9 'All I could see was the water coming up': Clean-up begins after Holloway flooding
- 10 'Extremely distressing': Council leader's shock after Highbury Fields stabbing
Witness a Massenet and Martinu opera triple bill from the Guildhall School, from 7pm, at the Barbican, Silk Street, EC2. Tickets �25 (�15 concessions), call 020 7638 8891.
Shake a leg to a lunchtime gig from Islington band Roadworks, from 2 to 3pm, at the Nag’s Head Shopping Centre, Holloway Road, N7. Free, visit www.islingtonmhf.co.uk
Paint for the love of Monet with these mixed level art classes for adults and beginners class for children aged seven to 12, from 2.30 to 5pm (adults) and 10.30am to noon (children), at Highbury Baptist Church, Highbury Place, N5. Cost �76 (�56 concessions) for adults and �80 (�60 concessions) for children for eight sessions, call 07786 760437.
Run like the wind at this 5k jog round Islington’s biggest park, from 9am, at Highbury Fields, N5, Free, call 07745 974 577.
Ease your way into the week with this Sunday Cinema Club where the movies are chosen by you, from 8pm, at the Dissenting Academy, Mildmay Park, Newington Green. Free, call 020 7249 6430.
Sup a wide variety of ales from God’s own county – Yorkshire – at this real ale festival, every day until Thursday, at the New Rose, Essex Road, N1. Free entry, discount for CAMRA card holders, call 020 7226 1082.
Find inner strength at these Chi Kung classes. Every Sunday, from 11am to noon, at Providence Court, Upper Street, N1, every Saturday, from 11.15am to 12.30pm and every Friday from 6.45pm to 7.45pm, at the Unity Church, Upper Street, N1. For more information call 07973 622240. Cost �10 a lesson or �40 for five.
Stroll around Islington and learn some of its historic secrets on this guided walk, from 2pm at Angel Tube Station, N1. Cost �6 (concessions �5), visit www.ciga.org.uk.