What’s on Islington this weekend?
Our pick of the weekend’s action:
Hark at some spoken word from Pete the Temp, whose poetry cuts right to the nub of the disenchanted masses, from 6.30 to 9pm, at St Mary’s Community Centre, Upper Street, N1. Free, with refreshment provided, call 020 7713 9304.
Wiggle your hips in a most energetic manner at these hula and break-dance classes for the over-55s, from 2 to 3pm, at the Claremont Centre, White Lion Street, N1. Free, call 020 7837 3402.
Hear a thought-provoking seminar on how to close the inequality gaps for black and minority ethnic young people as part of Black History Month, from 9.45am to 4pm, at Voluntary Action Islington, Pentonville Road, N1. Costs �10, call 020 7832 5800.
You may also want to watch:
Don your tutu at these introductory ballet classes for seven to nine-year-olds, from 5 to 5.30pm, at Islington Arts Factory, Parkhurst Road, N7. Cost �40 per term, call 020 7607 0561.
- 1 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 2 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 3 Historic pub The Cuckoo ready to welcome locals inside after refurbishment
- 4 Islington Boxing Club receives a major boost in fundraising campaign
- 5 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Upper Street chef raises money for St Vincent volcano victims
- 8 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 9 900-year-old Farringdon market can continue despite opposition
- 10 Trial halted after Extinction Rebellion protester glues himself to the dock
Witness a Massenet and Martinu opera triple bill from the Guildhall School, from 7pm, at the Barbican, Silk Street, EC2. Tickets �25 (�15 concessions), call 020 7638 8891.
Shake a leg to a lunchtime gig from Islington band Roadworks, from 2 to 3pm, at the Nag’s Head Shopping Centre, Holloway Road, N7. Free, visit www.islingtonmhf.co.uk
Paint for the love of Monet with these mixed level art classes for adults and beginners class for children aged seven to 12, from 2.30 to 5pm (adults) and 10.30am to noon (children), at Highbury Baptist Church, Highbury Place, N5. Cost �76 (�56 concessions) for adults and �80 (�60 concessions) for children for eight sessions, call 07786 760437.
Run like the wind at this 5k jog round Islington’s biggest park, from 9am, at Highbury Fields, N5, Free, call 07745 974 577.
Ease your way into the week with this Sunday Cinema Club where the movies are chosen by you, from 8pm, at the Dissenting Academy, Mildmay Park, Newington Green. Free, call 020 7249 6430.
Sup a wide variety of ales from God’s own county – Yorkshire – at this real ale festival, every day until Thursday, at the New Rose, Essex Road, N1. Free entry, discount for CAMRA card holders, call 020 7226 1082.
Find inner strength at these Chi Kung classes. Every Sunday, from 11am to noon, at Providence Court, Upper Street, N1, every Saturday, from 11.15am to 12.30pm and every Friday from 6.45pm to 7.45pm, at the Unity Church, Upper Street, N1. For more information call 07973 622240. Cost �10 a lesson or �40 for five.
Stroll around Islington and learn some of its historic secrets on this guided walk, from 2pm at Angel Tube Station, N1. Cost �6 (concessions �5), visit www.ciga.org.uk.