What’s on this weekend in Islington
Our pick of the weekend’s action:
Learn about prostrate cancer – the most common men’s cancer afflicting 250,000 the UK– with specialist nurse Teresa Lynch from 6.30 to 9.30pm at the St Mary’s Community Centre, Upper Street, N1. Suggested donation of �1 per session. Call 020 77139304 for more information.
Watch Clockwise – a comedy classic in which John Cleese is beset by one disaster after another – at the First Friday Film Club, from 7pm at the Old Fire Station, Mayton Street, N7. Costs �5 (�2.50 concessions) email email@example.com for more information.
Enjoy the work of Ida Barr, the world’s first Music Hall singer turned rap superstar, from 2 to 3pm at the Claremont project, White Lion Street, N1. Free, call 0207 837 3402 for more information.
Make your own retro jewellery using heat-fusible beads and an iron at Pop Up Saturday, from 11am to 1pm at the Old Fire Station, Mayton Street, N7. Free, call 07515647208 for more information.
- 1 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 2 Plea date set for man accused of Sabita Thanwani killing
- 3 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 4 'Save Islington's buses': Call for action as sweeping cuts loom
- 5 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 6 Hit Brighton food hall operator to open Upper Street venue
- 7 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 8 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 9 Census 2021: What has changed in your borough since 2011?
- 10 'Mistrust and fear' of services fuelling Islington BAME employment gap, research finds
Discover the treasure of Carmelite prayer at Carmel in the City, from 10am to 2pm at St Joseph’s Church, Lambs Passage, EC1. Call 07889 436165 for more information.
Buy some retro threads and listen to some groovy tunes at the Lost in Vintage fair, from 12noon to 5.30pm at the Old Queens Head, Essex Road, N1. Free, call 020 7354 9993 for more information.
Be amazed by London’s most powerful gypsy performance, the 45 strong London Gypsy Orchestra, from 7.30pm at the Union Chapel, Compton Avenue, N1. Costs �12 (�8 concessions), call 07922 664033 for more information.
Practise healing your own body at these weekly reiki-share sessions from 5.30 to 7.30pm every Sunday and 7.30 to 9.30pm every Wednesday at Highbury Station Road, N1. For more information call 07957 423460.
Turn your body into a well-oiled machine at these Chi Kung sessions, every Sunday from 11am to 12noon at Providence Court, Upper Street, N1, every Saturday from 11.15am to 12.30am and every Friday from 6.45pm to 7.45pm at Unity Church, Upper Street, N1. For more information call 07973 622240. Costs �10 per lesson or �40 for five lessons.