What’s on this weekend in Islington
Our pick of the weekend’s action:
Learn about prostrate cancer – the most common men’s cancer afflicting 250,000 the UK– with specialist nurse Teresa Lynch from 6.30 to 9.30pm at the St Mary’s Community Centre, Upper Street, N1. Suggested donation of �1 per session. Call 020 77139304 for more information.
Watch Clockwise – a comedy classic in which John Cleese is beset by one disaster after another – at the First Friday Film Club, from 7pm at the Old Fire Station, Mayton Street, N7. Costs �5 (�2.50 concessions) email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Enjoy the work of Ida Barr, the world’s first Music Hall singer turned rap superstar, from 2 to 3pm at the Claremont project, White Lion Street, N1. Free, call 0207 837 3402 for more information.
Make your own retro jewellery using heat-fusible beads and an iron at Pop Up Saturday, from 11am to 1pm at the Old Fire Station, Mayton Street, N7. Free, call 07515647208 for more information.
- 1 Islington's Tory councillor calls for low traffic neighbourhoods to be scrapped
- 2 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 3 Court shown moment man is arrested in the road naked after 'ferocious' attack on girlfriend
- 4 'The case for Arsenal starting places for Martinelli and Tierney'
- 5 Man on trial for attempted murder of girlfriend was in drug-induced psychosis
- 6 Safety measure or danger? Two weeks to decide Liverpool Road cycleway fate
- 7 Gong bathing comes to Holloway, Dalston and Stoke Newington
- 8 New nursery promises ‘outstanding childcare’ for Highbury
- 9 Residents to quiz council over homes at Holloway Prison site
- 10 Remembering London's teenage homicide victims in 2021
Discover the treasure of Carmelite prayer at Carmel in the City, from 10am to 2pm at St Joseph’s Church, Lambs Passage, EC1. Call 07889 436165 for more information.
Buy some retro threads and listen to some groovy tunes at the Lost in Vintage fair, from 12noon to 5.30pm at the Old Queens Head, Essex Road, N1. Free, call 020 7354 9993 for more information.
Be amazed by London’s most powerful gypsy performance, the 45 strong London Gypsy Orchestra, from 7.30pm at the Union Chapel, Compton Avenue, N1. Costs �12 (�8 concessions), call 07922 664033 for more information.
Practise healing your own body at these weekly reiki-share sessions from 5.30 to 7.30pm every Sunday and 7.30 to 9.30pm every Wednesday at Highbury Station Road, N1. For more information call 07957 423460.
Turn your body into a well-oiled machine at these Chi Kung sessions, every Sunday from 11am to 12noon at Providence Court, Upper Street, N1, every Saturday from 11.15am to 12.30am and every Friday from 6.45pm to 7.45pm at Unity Church, Upper Street, N1. For more information call 07973 622240. Costs �10 per lesson or �40 for five lessons.