Whittington DJ’s joy despite missing out on Royal Wedding gig
A HOSPITAL DJ was overjoyed to receive a letter from Prince William after volunteering to spin the decks at the Royal Wedding.
Despite failing to win the coveted gig DJ Eddie K, full name Eddie Kent, plans to keep the letter headed with the St James’s Palace crest for posterity.
The 38-year-old, who works at The Whittington Hospital in Magdala Avenue, Archway, said: “I was absolutely shocked, I couldn’t believe it, to get a reply from the Palace, that alone is very, very moving.
“The letter is something I can treasure for the rest of my life, something to show the kids and say ‘look, the future king wrote back to say thank-you’.”
Eddie is a security guard at the hospital and has volunteered at its radio station for seven years playing a weekly Reggae Rundown show.
He wrote to volunteer his services as he is a great fan of the Royal couple and even dreamed up an ideal set list.
“I would probably play something like Sweet Love by Anita Baker to get people on the dance floor and being a wedding Is This Love by Bob Marley,” he said.
- 1 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 2 Plea date set for man accused of Sabita Thanwani killing
- 3 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 4 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 5 International food festival coming to Islington this month
- 6 'Save Islington's buses': Call for action as sweeping cuts loom
- 7 'Mistrust and fear' of services fuelling Islington BAME employment gap, research finds
- 8 O2 Centre climb: Entertaining with fantastic panoramic views of London
- 9 Young stars of the design world celebrated at awards
- 10 Call to get vaccinated amid Covid surge
“I know William when he was young loved Michael Jackson, he probably still does, so I’d throw in Rock With You and I know Kate Middleton is an Abba fan, so she’d definitely get Dancing Queen.”
The Palace thanked Eddie, who lives in Tottenham, for his offer suggesting he could yet be contacted to take part in the wedding on April 29.
The letter said: “Prince William has asked me to thank you for your letter and your kind offer of your services as a DJ in connection with his forthcoming Marriage to Miss Catherine Middleton.
“As I am sure you will appreciate Prince William and Miss Middleton have received many similar letters. We will of course contact you should we wish to take you up on your kind offer.”
Eddie will now add the letter to his album of press clippings and hopes to join crowds in London to celebrate the Royal Wedding.
“They’re a beautiful couple and I wish them all the best for the future,” he said. “I hope they have a great day.”