Whittington Hospital becomes crime scene after “bomb hoax”
Police are believed to be investigating a “bomb hoax” at the Whittington Hospital after 200 patients and staff had to be evacuated.
The Met’s bomb squad was called to the hospital near Highgate at around 4pm on Tuesday (August 14) when a suspect package was spotted in the A&E department. Patients in the emergency and neighbouring wards had to be relocated as officers moved in.
A police spokeswoman said the package was “checked and cleared” by 6pm.
Police are now treating the area as a crime scene and interviewing doctors, nurses and patients, it is claimed.
A spokesman for the hospital said: “The bomb disposal unit was informed and attended the scene. Following their investigation it was confirmed that the device was a hoax.
You may also want to watch:
“The emergency department is now being treated as a crime scene.”
A police spokeswoman refused to identify what the package was and would not confirm whether the incident had been a hoax. She said “enquiries were ongoing”.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Islington shooting victim named
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 9 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 10 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
Andy McGlinchley, 33, who works in the pathology department, said: “We heard a rumour that something was going on and we looked out of the window and saw police everywhere.
“Pretty soon the security came up and evacuated us – we were one of the last because we work on the fifth floor.”
Eyewitness Mario Kurt said: “There was a helicopter hovering overhead and police are everywhere. We heard there was a suspicious package that has been found.”
The hospital was expected to reopen before 7pm.