ITV film depicts first Covid wave at Whittington's intensive care unit
- Credit: Whittington Health NHS Trust
A professor will share his experience of working as a consultant on Whittington Hospital's intensive care unit (ICU) throughout the coronavirus pandemic in a TV show that premieres tomorrow night (March 16).
The feature-length documentary starring Professor Hugh Montgomery, 2020: The Story of Us, uncovers what happened during the first wave of Covid-19 in the UK.
It shows the pressure NHS staff were under while they struggled to understand and fight a new disease and keep patients alive.
Much of the footage in the film by Oscar-winning director Kevin Macdonald was captured by staff themselves on their mobile phones in real time - adding a unique dimension.
The 90-minute film also follows the stories of some patients, including author Michael Rosen, who have been left with the long-term consequences of the virus.
You may also want to watch:
It was commissioned in early 2019, before the pandemic broke out, to mark The Intensive Care Society's 50th anniversary in June 2020.
It airs at 9pm tomorrow night on ITV.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London