ITV film depicts first Covid wave at Whittington's intensive care unit
- Credit: Whittington Health NHS Trust
A professor will share his experience of working as a consultant on Whittington Hospital's intensive care unit (ICU) throughout the coronavirus pandemic in a TV show that premieres tomorrow night (March 16).
The feature-length documentary starring Professor Hugh Montgomery, 2020: The Story of Us, uncovers what happened during the first wave of Covid-19 in the UK.
It shows the pressure NHS staff were under while they struggled to understand and fight a new disease and keep patients alive.
Much of the footage in the film by Oscar-winning director Kevin Macdonald was captured by staff themselves on their mobile phones in real time - adding a unique dimension.
The 90-minute film also follows the stories of some patients, including author Michael Rosen, who have been left with the long-term consequences of the virus.
You may also want to watch:
It was commissioned in early 2019, before the pandemic broke out, to mark The Intensive Care Society's 50th anniversary in June 2020.
It airs at 9pm tomorrow night on ITV.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing