Whittington Trust launches competition to showcase work of budding artists in Archway hospital
- Credit: Archant
An Archway hospital trust is launching an art competition designed to seek out budding artists from across north London.
Open to all, the competition is part of a new drive to showcase the creative work of the community in the Whittington Hospital.
As well as having their artwork displayed in the Magdala Avenue hospital, winners of the competition will also win a range of top prizes including, VIP visits to Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur football clubs, free cinema tickets, art equipment and classes.
Whittington Health, the trust behind the hospital, will also be putting a special triptych mural entitled The Legend of Dick Whittington and his Cat, back on public view at the hospital.
Painted by Ray Walker, who died in 1984 aged just 39, the mural captures the essence of Whittington, the Archway hospital’s namesake, and his journey to London.
You may also want to watch:
Trust chairman Steve Hitchins said: “We have a long history of working closely with our community and our new art competition is an exciting new addition.
“It is also part of our effort to engage more with the local population and to make the hospital a place where people aren’t frightened to come.
- 1 Low Traffic Islington coalition launched to support council's LTN roll-out
- 2 Seventh man charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 3 Plans to chop down 70-year-old Islington mulberry tree paused
- 4 WATCH: Air ambulance called to Islington flat fire
- 5 'This is the end of my political career': Richard Watts stands down
- 6 Finsbury Park trains set to be cancelled for railway work
- 7 Women offered home test kits in bid to cut cervical cancer deaths
- 8 Richard Watts to stand down as leader of Islington Council
- 9 Islington HR company set to take on year-long fundraising drive
- 10 Three strikes and you're out: Jail term for drug dealer
“We’re looking for budding artists, regardless of ability, to get involved and share their work with us.
“We know that there is a huge amount of talent in our community, and we’re hoping that this new competition will really inspire people to get involved – we may even discover the next Ray Walker.”
Under the banner of ‘my favourite activity’, entries to the art competition are split into five categories; under 5s, five to seven years, eight to 11 years, 12 to 16 years and over-17s.
The creation must be a two dimensional painting, drawing, cartoon, collage or tablet-generated piece of art, A2, A3 or A4 in size or a photograph sent as an email attachment to whh-tr.WhittingtonForum@nhs.net.
To enter the competition – which closes on July 31 – visit whittington.nhs.uk. All entrants will be signed up to the trust’s new Whittington Health Community Forum.
Winning prizes will be presented at the hospital on Sunday, September 16.