Who is really running Islington?
WHAT, exactly, is the point of people electing councillors if companies like Leisureworld UK Ltd. can overturn councillors decisions by appealing to a Crown Court?
WHAT, exactly, is the point of people electing councillors if companies like Leisureworld UK Ltd. can overturn councillors' decisions by appealing to a Crown Court?
There were massive objections to turning the old Nag's Head pub on the corner of Holloway Road and Seven Sisters Road into a gaming arcade, but this company, after appeal, has now got the result it wanted.
Another gambling outlet is the last thing this deprived area of London needs. It will attract criminals, including more illegal cigarette sellers, drug dealers, and the like.
The council can hardly be blamed for not pursuing this, as the financial penalties when they lose are crippling, and businesses and developers know this.
You may also want to watch:
So the question needs to be asked: who runs Islington - is it the elected councillors, or private concerns? - P. Wagland, Brecknock Road, N19.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 5 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 6 Why Arsenal's Leah Williamson is perfect England captain?
- 7 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 8 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 9 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 10 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers