William and Kate visit St Luke’s Community Centre in Central Street, Finsbury
- Credit: PA
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge stopped by at St Luke’s Community Centre in Central Street, Finsbury, for an international-themed lunch this afternoon.
It was part of the “Big Lunch” initiative, which encourages people to sit down to a meal with members of their community once a year.
It was the Kate’s last royal engagement before going on maternity leave: her third child is due in April.
Chef Matt Jones, 45, who has been at the centre for several years, said: “It was fantastic – the opportunity to meet people of their influence.
“As we got them to decorate our dishes, Kate said she cooked with her kids but that it sometimes got a bit messy. That’s why I prefer teaching adults.”
You may also want to watch:
Referring to a recipe for butter chicken that the royal pair handed over to staff, he added: “I’m very intrigued about their recipe.”
Community centre member Sakaina Buhari, from Sierra Leone, said: “I’m very happy to see them come down to share things with us. We love it.”
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Islington shooting victim named
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 9 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 10 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
Angela Dooley, 43, who works in the kitchen, added: “It’s just really nice that they’ve come. It was amazing, everyone was looking forward to it.
“We’re all excited to cook the recipe they brought.”
In the centre’s cafe, William and Kate were briefed on the work of St Luke’s.
It has a fully equipped cooking school and runs community classes on healthy home cooking and avoiding food waste.
Report by Press Association