Wilmington Square fire: Crews save woman’s life in Clerkenwell flat blaze
PUBLISHED: 08:41 09 January 2018 | UPDATED: 08:41 09 January 2018
Firefighters saved a woman’s life in Wilmington Square, Clerkenwell, on Sunday.
The brigade was called to a blaze in a lower ground floor flat of a terraced house just after 2pm. It is believed to have been caused by an electical fault in a toaster.
The woman was rescued by crews and treated for smoke inhalation. A neighbour had called 999 after hearing the alarm go off.
Watch manager James Cartwright, who was at the scene, said: “Crews quickly got into the property and rescued the woman. Without doubt the quick actions of the crews saved the woman’s life.
“It was very lucky the neighbour heard the alarms and called us when they did – a few minutes later could have made the difference.
“This fire should serve as a reminder of how important it is to have working smoke alarms throughout your home.”
Two crews, from Islington and Kentish Town fire stations, had the blaze under control within an hour.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Islington Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.