Winner chosen in Finsbury Park’s City North art competition
- Credit: Archant
A huge ceramic tile installation will grace the new City North development next to Finsbury Park station when it opens in early 2020.
The design by Carrie Reichardt and Karen Francesca saw off three other entries to win the art competition organised by developers Telford Homes and the Business Design Centre Group (BDCG).
The tiles will go on 10-metre high columns and walls under the new Goodwin Street entrance to the station and other images will be installed near the new cinema. They will tell the stories of local people and local history and will be developed at workshops early next year.
Carrie Reichardt said: “One of my main interests as an artist has always been to facilitate communities, explore their culture and heritage and find creative ways to capture their rich history.”
City North will create 355 homes – 47 affordable – and a gym, cinema and supermarket.
You may also want to watch:
Judge Dominic Jones, CEO of the BDCG, said: “We were particularly taken by the way in which Carrie manages to capture whole communities within the body of her work.”
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 5 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 6 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 7 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 8 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 9 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 10 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo