Winners of Islington Mayor’s Civic Awards and Ben Kinsella Award revealed
Unsung community heroes were honoured for their positive contributions to life in the borough at a ceremony last night (Thursday).
Winners of the nine Mayor’s Civic Awards and the Ben Kinsella Award were revealed at Islington Assembly Hall, in Upper Street, Islington.
The annual event, sponsored by the Gazette, recognised inspiring individuals including a 94-year-old war veteran who continues to work tirelessly to improve life on his estate, to a group of young people who cleared up a litter-strewn football pitch to kickstart a renaissance of youth sport.
The winners were picked from a flood of nominations by judges Islington Mayor Cllr Phil Kelly, deputy lieutenant Dr Charles Goodson-Wickes, temporary borough commander Simon Corkill and Gazette news editor Aimee Brannen.
Mayor Kelly said: “The Mayor’s Civic Awards and the Ben Kinsella Award are an annual opportunity to give thanks to those special citizens who make our borough a better place.
You may also want to watch:
“Many have worked for years unpaid and without recognition to help their neighbourhood or a friend or family member.
“It’s this public spirit – reflecting the council’s own priorities of service and helping those most vulnerable – that we honour.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 6 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 9 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 10 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
“It’s one of our borough’s strengths in these difficult times that once again a high calibre of nominations were received covering the spectrum of our diverse community.
“Congratulations to all our award winners – you truly deserve your success.”
Geoff Martin, group editor of Archant’s North London titles, which includes the Gazette, presented the awards. He said: “We are very proud to again be associated with the Islington Mayor’s Civic Awards.
“As a newspaper, we are very aware that there are a great many people doing lots of great things in the borough of Islington and we like to highlight that as much as possible. Events like these help to reward people who make a positive and lasting contribution to their communities.”
Winners of the Ben Kinsella Award 2012: The Izzy Cup Crew
Winners of the Mayor’s Civic Awards:
Bill Millet, MBE
Flight Sergeant Chandon Paul
Pearly king and prince of Finsbury, John and Darren Walters
Read next week’s Gazette for more photos and the winner’s stories.