Woman who died in Holloway tower block blaze is named
A PENSIONER who died in a fire on Sunday night has been named as 74-year-old Mary Kendrick.
Ms Kendrick was pronounced dead at her seventh floor flat in Pollard Close, off Holloway Road, shortly after 10pm.
Her husband, who is also in his 70s, managed to escape the blaze and is recovering in hospital.
A police spokeswoman said: “We were called by London Fire Brigade to reports of a fire at a seventh floor flat in Pollard Close at approximately 10pm on Sunday.
“London Ambulance Service were also called to the scene.
You may also want to watch:
“One man escaped from the property and was taken to central London hospital suffering smoke inhalation. He is believed to be in a stable condition
“One woman was pronounced dead at the scene.”
- 1 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 4 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 5 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 6 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 7 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 8 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
The fire is being treated as unexplained.
The blaze reignited at 11.10pm, but firefighters finally managed to get it under control at 12.30am on Monday.