Would-be city whiz from Hoxton wins top accolade in business awards
- Credit: Archant
A high-flying young business trainee has been handed a prestigious award.
David Annor, 20, of New North Road, Hoxton, was named highly commended trainee of the year in the City of London Corporation’s City Business Traineeship Awards at a ceremony on September 30.
The programme places youngsters educated in state schools with top-flight companies for an eight-week placement – David shadowed a trainee lawyer at Magic Circle law firm Allen and Overy, then secured a stint at banking giant ING.
The awards are designed to recognise the outstanding work of some of the City’s best trainees who hail from the area’s fringe boroughs.
Mark Boleat, from the City of London Corporation, said: “This scheme is invaluable in levelling the playing field and ensuring that high-achieving school leavers who cannot rely on family connections have access to internships in the Square Mile.
You may also want to watch:
“The placements offer the opportunity to develop the essential employability skills needed to compete in today’s job market.
“The winners have excelled in their internships and demonstrate to employers that talent can be found in some of London’s poorest boroughs – young people just need that initial step on the ladder.”
- 1 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 2 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 3 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 4 Historic pub The Cuckoo ready to welcome locals inside after refurbishment
- 5 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 6 Upper Street chef raises money for St Vincent volcano victims
- 7 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 8 Islington Boxing Club receives a major boost in fundraising campaign
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Islington district seal victory over Camden