Would-be city whiz from Hoxton wins top accolade in business awards
- Credit: Archant
A high-flying young business trainee has been handed a prestigious award.
David Annor, 20, of New North Road, Hoxton, was named highly commended trainee of the year in the City of London Corporation’s City Business Traineeship Awards at a ceremony on September 30.
The programme places youngsters educated in state schools with top-flight companies for an eight-week placement – David shadowed a trainee lawyer at Magic Circle law firm Allen and Overy, then secured a stint at banking giant ING.
The awards are designed to recognise the outstanding work of some of the City’s best trainees who hail from the area’s fringe boroughs.
Mark Boleat, from the City of London Corporation, said: “This scheme is invaluable in levelling the playing field and ensuring that high-achieving school leavers who cannot rely on family connections have access to internships in the Square Mile.
You may also want to watch:
“The placements offer the opportunity to develop the essential employability skills needed to compete in today’s job market.
“The winners have excelled in their internships and demonstrate to employers that talent can be found in some of London’s poorest boroughs – young people just need that initial step on the ladder.”
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 3 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London