WSL: Arsenal 4 Yeovil Town 0
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Two goals apiece from Beth Mead and Danielle Carter saw Arsenal to a 4-0 win over Yeovil at Meadow Park, which lifted them up to third in the WSL table.
Mead’s burst into the box and cutback allowed Carter to open the scoring in the first half and she curled home the second three minutes after the restart.
Arsenal went 3-0 up when Carter headed in a cross from Lisa Evans at the far post, with Mead tapping in her second from close range five minutes from time, after Jordan Nobbs saw a free-kick parried by visiting keeper Megan Walsh.
Victory lifted Arsenal above Liverpool, who had they had beaten 3-0 in midweek, and Carter was a threat from the flanks throughout, while Leah Williamson had a header cleared off the line by Charlotte Buxton.
Mead said: “Today was always going to be a tough game and the first half we were a little bit sloppy.
You may also want to watch:
“We had to tidy it up and it was nice to get the goal to help the girls settle down a bit. Sometimes you have to be unselfish and if it falls for somebody else then you’ve got to help the team out, so I put the ball across for Danielle for the first goal.
“We knew we hadn’t been good enough first half and we had to improve and we did that and showed everyone how good we are and the Arsenal way.”
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 10 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
The Gunners host Millwall in the SSE Women’s FA Cup on Sunday and Mead added: “Starting fromm now we’ve got to recover again, get our heads back in that FA Cup mode and train well this week and get another good result next weeeknd.
“We put a lot of pressure on ourselves, we want to be in these finals, so the FA Cup is a big tournament for us.
“It’s one that everyone wants to be in the final of, myself included. I’ve never been in one before so there’s a lot of us striving for it.”
Arsenal: Van Veenendaal, Evans (Scott 71), Quinn, Williamson (O’Reilly 28), Mitchell (Filbey 80), Nobbs, Janssen, Van de Donk, Carter, Mead, McCabe. Unused subs: Little, Moorhouse, James.
*To buy tickets to an FA Women’s Super League match near you, visit fawsl.com/tickets.