WSL: Arsenal must compete better says Losa
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Arsenal manager Pedro Losa said his side needs to compete better following their 5-2 loss at WSL rivals Manchester City.
Emma Mitchell cancelled out a Jane Ross goal as the match came to life late in the first half, but Steph Houghton restored the home side’s lead before the break.
New signing Vivianne Miedema and Beth Mead were sent on by Losa for the second half and Arsenal levelled when Heather O’Reilly pounced at close range.
Jordan Nobbs then hit the crossbar, but Arsenal conceded twice in quick successsion as Georgia Stanway and Izzy Christiansen netted.
Jill Scott completed City’s nap hand late on and Losa said: “We had a chance to go in front when Jordan Nobbs hit the bar, we were thinking about winning and maybe forgot about defending better.
You may also want to watch:
“We gave them too much space and they scored the third goal with one of their chances, it become tough for our girls after that.
“We have to compete better, it’s not about having good possession it’s about competing in every action with the opponents, and Manchester City competed better.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 Heartbreak for Team GB as Australia end Olympic dream
“Our changes were more about who was coming in. We wanted to defend well and be solid because against Birmingham we conceded two goals very easily.
“We wanted to damage Manchester City with Heather O’Reilly and Lisa Evans and you have to sacrifice some players.
“Danielle [van de Donk] we took off at half-time because she picked up a knock in the first half, we just had to protect against that getting any worse.”
*To buy tickets to an FA Women’s Super League match near you click here: www.fawsl.com/tickets.