Xhaka extends Arsenal stay
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Midfielder Granit Xhaka has signed a new ‘long-term’ contract with Arsenal.
The 25-year-old Switzerland international, currently away at the World Cup, featured in all 38 Premier League matches last season.
And in a message on Arsenal’s Twitter feed, Xhaka said: “Hi Gunners, here is the Granit.
“I am happy and I am proud to sign a new contract here for Arsenal and I hope for good results in the future.”
Arsenal did not disclose the length of his new deal.
You may also want to watch:
Xhaka joined Arsenal from German side Borussia Monchengladbach in May 2016, and went on to win the FA Cup in his first season.
New Arsenal head coach Unai Emery said on the club’s website: “I’m delighted that Granit has extended his contract with us.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
“He’s an important member of the squad and is still young so will be able to develop even more.
“I hope he has a successful World Cup with Switzerland and comes back fit and ready for the new season.”
Emery is preparing to take Arsenal forward following the departure of long-serving manager Arsene Wenger.
The Spaniard’s first competitive match in charge will see champions Manchester City visit the Emirates Stadium on the opening weekend of the Premier League season.
By then, Arsenal are expected to have brought in more fresh talent.
Swiss defender Stephan Lichtsteiner has arrived on a free transfer from Juventus, while a potential £27million deal for Sampdoria midfielder Lucas Torreira, who was a late substitute as Uruguay opened their World Cup campaign with a 1-0 win over Egypt, is understood to be in the pipeline.
Confirmation of a move for Greek centre-back Sokratis Papastathopoulos from Borussia Dortmund is expected at the start of July, while Bayer Leverkusen goalkeeper Bernd Leno is another reported target as Arsenal plot their way back into the Premier League’s top four.