Xhaka extends Arsenal stay
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Midfielder Granit Xhaka has signed a new ‘long-term’ contract with Arsenal.
The 25-year-old Switzerland international, currently away at the World Cup, featured in all 38 Premier League matches last season.
And in a message on Arsenal’s Twitter feed, Xhaka said: “Hi Gunners, here is the Granit.
“I am happy and I am proud to sign a new contract here for Arsenal and I hope for good results in the future.”
Arsenal did not disclose the length of his new deal.
You may also want to watch:
Xhaka joined Arsenal from German side Borussia Monchengladbach in May 2016, and went on to win the FA Cup in his first season.
New Arsenal head coach Unai Emery said on the club’s website: “I’m delighted that Granit has extended his contract with us.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 4 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe streets where you live?
- 5 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 6 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 7 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 9 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 10 Hundreds are heirs to an estate and may not even know
“He’s an important member of the squad and is still young so will be able to develop even more.
“I hope he has a successful World Cup with Switzerland and comes back fit and ready for the new season.”
Emery is preparing to take Arsenal forward following the departure of long-serving manager Arsene Wenger.
The Spaniard’s first competitive match in charge will see champions Manchester City visit the Emirates Stadium on the opening weekend of the Premier League season.
By then, Arsenal are expected to have brought in more fresh talent.
Swiss defender Stephan Lichtsteiner has arrived on a free transfer from Juventus, while a potential £27million deal for Sampdoria midfielder Lucas Torreira, who was a late substitute as Uruguay opened their World Cup campaign with a 1-0 win over Egypt, is understood to be in the pipeline.
Confirmation of a move for Greek centre-back Sokratis Papastathopoulos from Borussia Dortmund is expected at the start of July, while Bayer Leverkusen goalkeeper Bernd Leno is another reported target as Arsenal plot their way back into the Premier League’s top four.