Firefighters battle blaze in early hours of the morning at York Way launderette
- Credit: Archant
Fire crews tackled a blaze at a York way launderette in the early hours of this morning.
Four fire engines and 25 firefighters were called to the fire shortly before 1.15am.
Around half the ground floor was damaged by fire. The alarm was raised when a passer-by heard the alarm sounding and saw smoke coming from under the metal shutters.
Ten people were evacuated from the flats above the shop as a precaution. There were no reports of any injuries.
After battling the fire for around an hour, it was under control at 2.23am.
You may also want to watch:
Crews from Euston, Islington and Kentish Town stations attended the scene.
The cause is currently under investigation.
- 1 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 9 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 10 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'