Young fencer named “pride of Islington” in run up to Olympics
A young Islington fencer has been named the “pride” of the borough by a major advertising campaign ahead of the Olympics.
Curtis Miller, 20, was chosen by sportswear label adidas to be one of 32 young people representing each of the London boroughs for its Take the Stage campaign, which aims to highlight the capital’s up-and-coming talent from sport to the creative industries.
The Holloway resident, who studies sports psychology and coaching at the London Met university, has featured in a documentary and nearly 30 billboard ads across the borough, as well as getting the chance to work with pentathlete and Olympic Silver medalist Heather Fell.
He said: “It’s been so helpful to get advice from one of the country’s best athletes. Hopefully I’ll progress and become much better at the sport that I do and love.”
“The campaign is a bit surreal. My friends keep taking photos of themselves next to the billboards and sending them to me. My family are really proud of me. Even they’ve been taking pictures next to the billboards,” Curtis said.
The champion fencer, who is currently ranked 1st in the UK for under-20s, started fencing nine years ago at a club in Camden and instantly fell in love with the sport. Curtis won his first medal at a fencing competition at 11 years old, and has been in the Great Britain squad for the last six years. He just missed out on a place for team GB 2012, but has his sights set firmly on 2016.
He added: “Fencing is physical, it involves lots of movement, lots of tactics and it’s really challenging.”
- 1 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 2 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 3 Inside the esports gaming arena coming to Islington's Upper Street
- 4 Landlord who did not provide kitchen for tenant fined £40,000
- 5 Finsbury Park man due in court charged with pub murder
- 6 'Like a tsunami': Burst water main floods Islington street
- 7 'All I could see was the water coming up': Clean-up begins after Holloway flooding
- 8 'The grim history of London's water supply'
- 9 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 10 Cost of living crisis: What to do if you can't pay your bills
n For more amazing chances to #takethestage with adidas, visit www.adidas.com/all2012.