Your chance to pick Islington’s market trader of the year
- Credit: Em Fitzgerald/Islington Council
Roll up! Shoppers are being asked to nominate their favourite market trader for the Islington’s Market Trader of the Year Award 2017.
The award is open to traders directly licenced by Islington Council at one of the four main townhall-run markets – Camden Passage, Chapel Market, Exmouth Market and Whitecross Street – as well as a few other sites around the borough.
The winning trader will receive £150 off their stall rent and the person who nominates them will win £50 to spend at the trader’s stall.
Chapel Market trader Jeffrey Heller won in 2008. He says: “It was great to win it. It was the first time the competition had been held. To be honest there were lots of other traders worthy of the award and I was fortunate to be chosen.
“The recognition was the most important thing for me. I still hang the award on my stall every day after all this time.”
In the weeks leading up to the winners’ announcement, the Gazette will be profiling the nominations.
The top trader will be crowned by a panel of judges.
- 1 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 2 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 3 Inside the esports gaming arena coming to Islington's Upper Street
- 4 Landlord who did not provide kitchen for tenant fined £40,000
- 5 'Like a tsunami': Burst water main floods Islington street
- 6 'All I could see was the water coming up': Clean-up begins after Holloway flooding
- 7 Finsbury Park man due in court charged with pub murder
- 8 London among areas where drought is declared
- 9 'The grim history of London's water supply'
- 10 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
Jan Hart, Islington’s director of public protection, said: “Our market traders provide a great service to the community and the award is also a great way for local people to get involved, so I encourage everyone to get nominating.”
To enter, send the name of your nominated trader, the market they trade in and say in no more than 20 words why you think they deserve to win. The competition closes on August 18, and the winner will be announced in early September. See islington.gov.uk/business/street-trading