Your chance to pick Islington’s market trader of the year
- Credit: Em Fitzgerald/Islington Council
Roll up! Shoppers are being asked to nominate their favourite market trader for the Islington’s Market Trader of the Year Award 2017.
The award is open to traders directly licenced by Islington Council at one of the four main townhall-run markets – Camden Passage, Chapel Market, Exmouth Market and Whitecross Street – as well as a few other sites around the borough.
The winning trader will receive £150 off their stall rent and the person who nominates them will win £50 to spend at the trader’s stall.
Chapel Market trader Jeffrey Heller won in 2008. He says: “It was great to win it. It was the first time the competition had been held. To be honest there were lots of other traders worthy of the award and I was fortunate to be chosen.
“The recognition was the most important thing for me. I still hang the award on my stall every day after all this time.”
You may also want to watch:
In the weeks leading up to the winners’ announcement, the Gazette will be profiling the nominations.
The top trader will be crowned by a panel of judges.
- 1 Islington shooting victim named
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 5 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 6 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
Jan Hart, Islington’s director of public protection, said: “Our market traders provide a great service to the community and the award is also a great way for local people to get involved, so I encourage everyone to get nominating.”
To enter, send the name of your nominated trader, the market they trade in and say in no more than 20 words why you think they deserve to win. The competition closes on August 18, and the winner will be announced in early September. See islington.gov.uk/business/street-trading