Your chance to pick Islington’s market trader of the year
- Credit: Em Fitzgerald/Islington Council
Roll up! Shoppers are being asked to nominate their favourite market trader for the Islington’s Market Trader of the Year Award 2017.
The award is open to traders directly licenced by Islington Council at one of the four main townhall-run markets – Camden Passage, Chapel Market, Exmouth Market and Whitecross Street – as well as a few other sites around the borough.
The winning trader will receive £150 off their stall rent and the person who nominates them will win £50 to spend at the trader’s stall.
Chapel Market trader Jeffrey Heller won in 2008. He says: “It was great to win it. It was the first time the competition had been held. To be honest there were lots of other traders worthy of the award and I was fortunate to be chosen.
“The recognition was the most important thing for me. I still hang the award on my stall every day after all this time.”
You may also want to watch:
In the weeks leading up to the winners’ announcement, the Gazette will be profiling the nominations.
The top trader will be crowned by a panel of judges.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
Jan Hart, Islington’s director of public protection, said: “Our market traders provide a great service to the community and the award is also a great way for local people to get involved, so I encourage everyone to get nominating.”
To enter, send the name of your nominated trader, the market they trade in and say in no more than 20 words why you think they deserve to win. The competition closes on August 18, and the winner will be announced in early September. See islington.gov.uk/business/street-trading