Abidogan wins two medals at veterans world championships
- Credit: Archant
Islington resident takes individual silver and team gold
Islington’s Kola Abidogan had reason to celebrate after collecting two medals at the World Veterans Fencing Championships in Livorno, Italy earlier this month.
The 52-year-old was part of the Great Britain squad that took gold in the men’s team foil event, and also collected a silver medal in his individual foil age group category.
In the individual competition, Abidogan dropped one bout in the seeding round of the 50-59 age group to be seeded 14th for the competition proper.
The Islington resident came through a tough opening fight against Italy’s Fabrizio Capellini, before beating Jesus Villadoniga of Spain in the quarter-finals.
You may also want to watch:
A 10-2 victory over Russian rival Igor Tarasov in the semi-finals ensured Abidogan would improve on last year’s result, having taken bronze.
Sadly the final against Roman Christen of Germany proved a step too far for Abidogan, but the 52-year-old still has a silver medal to cherish in addition to his team gold medal.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 8 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 9 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 10 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'