Abidogan wins two medals at veterans world championships
- Credit: Archant
Islington resident takes individual silver and team gold
Islington’s Kola Abidogan had reason to celebrate after collecting two medals at the World Veterans Fencing Championships in Livorno, Italy earlier this month.
The 52-year-old was part of the Great Britain squad that took gold in the men’s team foil event, and also collected a silver medal in his individual foil age group category.
In the individual competition, Abidogan dropped one bout in the seeding round of the 50-59 age group to be seeded 14th for the competition proper.
The Islington resident came through a tough opening fight against Italy’s Fabrizio Capellini, before beating Jesus Villadoniga of Spain in the quarter-finals.
You may also want to watch:
A 10-2 victory over Russian rival Igor Tarasov in the semi-finals ensured Abidogan would improve on last year’s result, having taken bronze.
Sadly the final against Roman Christen of Germany proved a step too far for Abidogan, but the 52-year-old still has a silver medal to cherish in addition to his team gold medal.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 10 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'