Admiral edge out Regent’s to clinch cup after penalty drama
- Credit: Archant
Goalkeeper Harry Hicks was the hero as Admiral triumphed in a sudden-death shoot-out to clinch their first silverware of the season.
Hicks kept out the decisive penalty from Karim Essaghi to settle a gruelling final at Market Road and deny Regent’s – who had won the Islington Gazette Cup the previous week – a second trophy.
Admiral created better opportunities during the 90 minutes, with Alfie Bartram, Niko Muir, Jordy Ndjeka and Daniel Nicholas all close to breaking the deadlock.
However, the Regent’s back four held firm – and they almost scored themselves when Essaghi unleashed a 20-yard drive that rattled the crossbar.
But the contest went to penalties and Terry Paul, Bartram, Muir, Jason Edwards and Ndjeka were all successful for Admiral, while Essaghi’s kick was saved.
You may also want to watch:
Admiral have the opportunity to secure another trophy on Thursday when they face Islington Midweek League champions Cricklewood Wanderers in the final of the Invitation Cup (kick-off 8pm).
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 3 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 4 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 5 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 6 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 7 Author inspired by Highbury for debut sci-fi novel about aliens
- 8 Spot tiny art 'gems' along The Parkland Walk
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 10 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding