Admiral edge out Regent’s to clinch cup after penalty drama
- Credit: Archant
Goalkeeper Harry Hicks was the hero as Admiral triumphed in a sudden-death shoot-out to clinch their first silverware of the season.
Hicks kept out the decisive penalty from Karim Essaghi to settle a gruelling final at Market Road and deny Regent’s – who had won the Islington Gazette Cup the previous week – a second trophy.
Admiral created better opportunities during the 90 minutes, with Alfie Bartram, Niko Muir, Jordy Ndjeka and Daniel Nicholas all close to breaking the deadlock.
However, the Regent’s back four held firm – and they almost scored themselves when Essaghi unleashed a 20-yard drive that rattled the crossbar.
But the contest went to penalties and Terry Paul, Bartram, Muir, Jason Edwards and Ndjeka were all successful for Admiral, while Essaghi’s kick was saved.
You may also want to watch:
Admiral have the opportunity to secure another trophy on Thursday when they face Islington Midweek League champions Cricklewood Wanderers in the final of the Invitation Cup (kick-off 8pm).
- 1 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 2 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 3 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 8 'It's crippling us': Islington's theatres and pubs disheartened by lockdown extension
- 9 Islington shooting victim named
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern