Admiral edge out Regent’s to clinch cup after penalty drama
- Credit: Archant
Goalkeeper Harry Hicks was the hero as Admiral triumphed in a sudden-death shoot-out to clinch their first silverware of the season.
Hicks kept out the decisive penalty from Karim Essaghi to settle a gruelling final at Market Road and deny Regent’s – who had won the Islington Gazette Cup the previous week – a second trophy.
Admiral created better opportunities during the 90 minutes, with Alfie Bartram, Niko Muir, Jordy Ndjeka and Daniel Nicholas all close to breaking the deadlock.
However, the Regent’s back four held firm – and they almost scored themselves when Essaghi unleashed a 20-yard drive that rattled the crossbar.
But the contest went to penalties and Terry Paul, Bartram, Muir, Jason Edwards and Ndjeka were all successful for Admiral, while Essaghi’s kick was saved.
You may also want to watch:
Admiral have the opportunity to secure another trophy on Thursday when they face Islington Midweek League champions Cricklewood Wanderers in the final of the Invitation Cup (kick-off 8pm).
- 1 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 2 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 3 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 4 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 5 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 6 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 7 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 8 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 9 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 10 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency