Alan Higgins targets English title fight and showdown with Chris Eubank Jr
- Credit: Philip Sharkey/TGSPHOTO
Former St Pancras ABC star Alan Higgins is targeting an English title fight by the end of the year and a showdown with Chris Eubank Jr after receiving treatment for a slipped disc.
Higgins, who turns 26 at the end of next week, has not been in action since February, when he beat Jason Ball on points at York Hall.
“A month ago I got an x-ray which showed a slipped disc in my back,” he told Ham&High Sport. “I had been struggling with my ground work and after sparring I was in agony.
“I had two cortisone injections four weeks ago and another one recently. The specialist I’ve been seeing is confident my back will continue to heal through the use of the injections.”
The unbeaten middleweight is now fully focused on his next fight on Sunday September 19 at York Hall, Bethnal Green.
You may also want to watch:
Higgins said: “I only got the date through this week. I don’t know who the opponent will be yet, but it will be good to get back in the ring.
“I would like to be in line for an English title fight by Christmas. After the fight in September I want to stay busy and have a couple of fights in eight weeks, which would bring me up to 10.”
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
- 10 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
Higgins is also targeting a fight with Chris Eubank Jr – the son of former WBO middleweight and super-middleweight champion Chris Eubank.
Eubank Jr is undefeated after 16 fights but Higgins believes he has the skills to beat the 24-year-old.
Higgins, who beat Islington’s John Ryder and Enfield’s Frank Buglioni as an amateur, said: “I really want that fight – I think he’s useless. I don’t like the arrogance he brings with him.
“I don’t think anyone wants to see him do well. Despite all the talk, I can’t see him stepping up and actually fighting someone of real quality for at least 10 years.”