Anaconda Swimming Club duo clinch gold medals at Middlesex Championships
- Credit: Archant
Anaconda SC pair Elena Dewhurst and Andrew Boadi are both among the county’s elite swimmers after scooping gold medals at the Middlesex Championships.
Dewhurst triumphed in the 13 years’ 50m freestyle, while Boadi was victorious in a very competitive open 50m butterfly as the Islington club celebrated a string of successes.
Tommy Donovan did well to take a silver medal in the 15 years’ 50m breaststroke, with Alice Hockey collecting bronze in the 14 years’ race, which was also keenly-contested.
Alistair Woolley, 14, qualified for a total of five finals, while Anaconda trio Mabli Elliman, Polly Rayner and Dewhurst took three of the eight places in the girls’ 13 years’ breaststroke final.
Anaconda’s open boys’ relay team of Alex Tegene, Alex Mackay-Howse, Fred Goudie and Boadi claimed a very creditable fifth place in the 200m freestyle relay, clocking a speedy time of one minute 41 seconds.
You may also want to watch:
Overall, 36 swimmers from the Cally Road-based club qualified for the tournament, while 13 have already secured their places at the upcoming London Regional Championships.
“I’m very proud to see how much our swimmers have progressed over the last year,” said Anaconda head coach Wayne Lock. “We have had more swimmers, finalists, and medals than ever before.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Jeremy Corbyn joins campaign to protect human right Article 25
“It was very rewarding to see the fruits of the hard work I witness daily from the swimmers. I know there’s plenty more to come.”