Angel ABC boxer loses out in comeback fight
Angel ABC light-middleweight Lukas Zaspal was defeated on his return to the ring after a year’s absence at the Boston Dome, Tufnell Park.
Zaspal faced the experienced Kyle Roche (Dale Youth ABC) over three two-minute rounds on a Finchley ABC open show, but was unanimously outpointed.
The Dale Youth boxer looked sharper, unloading his punches rapidly to take the first two sessions and, although Zaspal rallied to win the third, it was not enough to swing the verdict in his favour.
Angel coach Colin Lake said: “Lukas did well considering he had not boxed competitively for over a year. He needed this bout to get him back into action.
“We would have liked it to have been over three threes, but he stuck to his task and had a very good third round against a useful and lively opponent.”
You may also want to watch:
Despite the loss, Zaspal has been entered into the North West London division of the senior elite ABA championships, which are due to get under way on Wednesday at Hayes Working Men’s Club.
Angel middleweight Jimmy Fielding – who also recently returned to action after a lengthy hiatus – was also scheduled to box in the championships.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 5 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 6 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 7 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 10 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
Islington BC heavyweight Mateusz Szczepkowski avenged last month’s defeat by Vangelis Akubeze as he reversed the result on the Finchley fighter’s home show.
Szczepkowski had dropped a unanimous verdict when the pair had met in February and, despite a quiet start, he began to win some close exchanges in their rematch at the Boston Dome, Tufnell Park.
With Akubeze beginning to tire in the final round, the Islington boxer took full advantage and finished strongly to secure victory.
Islington fielded one other fighter – junior debutant John O’Donnell, who made an excellent start with victory by unanimous decision against the home club’s P McDonagh.
O’Donnell boxed well in the opening round, forced McDonagh to take a standing eight count in the second, and totally dominated the last as he completed the win.