Angel ABC boxer loses out in comeback fight
Angel ABC light-middleweight Lukas Zaspal was defeated on his return to the ring after a year’s absence at the Boston Dome, Tufnell Park.
Zaspal faced the experienced Kyle Roche (Dale Youth ABC) over three two-minute rounds on a Finchley ABC open show, but was unanimously outpointed.
The Dale Youth boxer looked sharper, unloading his punches rapidly to take the first two sessions and, although Zaspal rallied to win the third, it was not enough to swing the verdict in his favour.
Angel coach Colin Lake said: “Lukas did well considering he had not boxed competitively for over a year. He needed this bout to get him back into action.
“We would have liked it to have been over three threes, but he stuck to his task and had a very good third round against a useful and lively opponent.”
You may also want to watch:
Despite the loss, Zaspal has been entered into the North West London division of the senior elite ABA championships, which are due to get under way on Wednesday at Hayes Working Men’s Club.
Angel middleweight Jimmy Fielding – who also recently returned to action after a lengthy hiatus – was also scheduled to box in the championships.
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 6 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 7 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 8 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 9 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 10 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
Islington BC heavyweight Mateusz Szczepkowski avenged last month’s defeat by Vangelis Akubeze as he reversed the result on the Finchley fighter’s home show.
Szczepkowski had dropped a unanimous verdict when the pair had met in February and, despite a quiet start, he began to win some close exchanges in their rematch at the Boston Dome, Tufnell Park.
With Akubeze beginning to tire in the final round, the Islington boxer took full advantage and finished strongly to secure victory.
Islington fielded one other fighter – junior debutant John O’Donnell, who made an excellent start with victory by unanimous decision against the home club’s P McDonagh.
O’Donnell boxed well in the opening round, forced McDonagh to take a standing eight count in the second, and totally dominated the last as he completed the win.