Arsenal's trip to Aston Villa postponed for a third time
- Credit: PA
Arsenal Women's trip to Aston Villa has been postponed this afternoon due to a frozen pitch at the Bescot Stadium.
It's the third time the match has been called off with Villa first due to a positive Covid-19 test in the Gunners camp then twice because of the pitch issues.
An Arsenal statement read on Sunday morning: "Our away fixture against Aston Villa Women at Walsall’s Banks’s Stadium today has been called off due to a frozen pitch.
"The Barclays FA Women’s Super League fixture was due to be played at Walsall’s Banks’s Stadium at 2pm (UK time), but following a pitch inspection at 9am, the match has had to be postponed.
"Information about a rescheduled fixture will be released in due course."
You may also want to watch:
Aston Villa were going into the game off the back of a win over Tottenham Hotspur while Joe Montemurro's troops were hoping to bounce back after two consecutive defeats to Manchester City and Chelsea.
Arsenal haven't played Aston Villa in a competitive meeting in the Women's Super League before so this clash was set to be their first however they did meet in pre-season when the Gunners were warming up to complete their Champions League campaign.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 7 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 8 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
The Gunners stars now head on international break and are expected to return to action against West Ham United on Sunday, February 28 but that fixture is yet to be confirmed as yet.