Arsenal defender Jennifer Beattie undergoes successful back surgery
- Credit: PA
Arsenal defender Jennifer Beattie has undergone successful surgery on her back injury.
The Scottish International has had a long-term problem with her back but Arsenal have confirmed that she has had surgery on the issue.
Beattie hasn't played for the Gunners since February 28 in a 4-0 away win at Aston Villa in Walsall due to injury.
The defender played in eight Women's Super League games as Arsenal finished third and qualified for the UEFA Women’s Champions League ahead of next season.
An Arsenal statement read on Monday afternoon: "Jennifer Beattie underwent a successful operation today on her back following a long-term back issue.
You may also want to watch:
"She now begins her recovery process with the support of specialist care, but sadly her injury rules her out of selection for this summer’s Olympic games.
"Everyone at the club will be supporting Jen through her recovery."
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 8 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 9 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 10 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
Beattie scored two goals for Arsenal this campaign against Brighton & Hove Albion and Everton.
The celebration against Brighton a highly poignant moment in the season as her teammates surrounded her in joy as it was later revealed that she was diagnosed with breast cancer.
On her successful back surgery Beattie put on her Instagram account: "I've been managing my back since my late teens. It got to the stage this year where a little discectomy was needed. So I've quite literally ended this season on a high.
"I'll be holding onto memories like this with the best people so I can crack on with my rehab over summer. See you all next season and thanks once again for the endless support."
Beattie has a good partnership with Leah Williamson at the back and is a perfect example for Lotte Wubben-Moy and Anna Patten to look up to on the training pitch.