Arsenal defender Leonie Maier feels women’s football is more valued in the UK
- Credit: PA
Arsenal defender Leonie Maier feels that Women's football is more valued in the United Kingdom compared to in Germany.
Maier who is currently away with the German national team for games against Australia and the Netherlands has made eleven appearances for the Gunners this season.
Germany will step onto the pitch at the BRITA-Arena in Wiesbaden against Australia on Saturday April 10 before taking Norway on Tuesday April 13.
There have already been 41 meetings between Norway and Germany the last one ended 4-0 for Germany at the Algarve Cup in 2020.
Speaking to German publication Idowa, Maier said: "I think they value women's football in England and see a future in it and I hope that there will be more progress in Germany, that better framework conditions and that better structures can be created.
You may also want to watch:
"I can only say that football is valued more there, that you get more recognition, that more licensed clubs invest in women's football and then do it right.
“In the big clubs, the training conditions are shared, with both women and men playing on the premises.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
“It is not a matter of course that you share the training area with the men. I don't think there is anything like that in Germany."
Maier was nominated for the German player of the year for 2020 after playing in four Euro 2022 qualification games for her country, helping them keep three clean sheets, and she also found the back of the net on one occasion.
Maier has won 75 caps for her country scoring 11 goals in the process