Arsenal stars named in Netherlands squad
- Credit: PA
Arsenal trio Vivianne Miedema, Danielle van de Donk and Jill Roord have been named in the Netherlands squad for their games with Germany and Belgium later this month.
Sarina Wiegman's side will play against the Belgian Red Flames in Leuven on Thursday 18 February while they will take on Germany on Wednesday 24 February in Venlo.
On the games Wiegman who will take over as England manager in September said: "I keep saying it and want to repeat it again."
"We realize how privileged we are that we can just play football in these times and in my opinion this triptych is also a wonderful example of how with the necessary creativity and flexibility meaning that we can achieve something beautiful, both from a sporting point of view, but also with an eye for the current situation in the world.
"We can play close to home and within driving distance playing international matches against two strong and appealing opponents.
You may also want to watch:
"Germany is number two in the FIFA ranking and really a top country while Belgium has always been a tough, strong team and have already qualified for the European Championship and is traditionally always a difficult team to play against that makes it a good start to our Olympic year."
Miedema is the Netherlands record goalscorer scoring 69 goals in 89 appearances for her country an incredible feat for a 24-year-old.
- 1 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 9 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails
- 10 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
Roord impressed last time out on international duty as she scored twice against Kosovo while van de Donk has won over 100 caps for her country.
Leonie Maier won't play against her Gunners teammates as the German government won't let her travel from a country with a mutated coronavirus variant.