Arsenal's trip to Aston Villa postponed due to waterlogged pitch
- Credit: PA
Arsenal's trip to Aston Villa in the Women's Super League this afternoon has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.
It follows Walsall's League Two fixture against Mansfield Town yesterday also being postponed at the Bescot Stadium due to the same issue.
It is the second week in a row that the Gunners have had a game called off due to pitch issues with last weekends clash with West Ham United postponed due to a frozen surface.
Today's game was a rescheduled fixture after a member of the Gunners squad tested positive for Covid-19 and the game on January, 7 had to be postponed.
An Arsenal statement read on Sunday morning: "Our away fixture against Aston Villa Women at the Bescot Stadium today has been called off due to a waterlogged pitch.
You may also want to watch:
"The Barclays FA Women’s Super League fixture was due to kick off at 2pm GMT, but following a pitch inspection at 9am, the match has had to be postponed.
"Information about a rescheduled fixture will be released in due course."
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 2 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 5 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 6 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 7 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 10 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
Arsenal haven't played Aston Villa in a competitive meeting in the Women's Super League before so this clash was set to be their first however they did meet in pre-season when the Gunners were warming up to complete their Champions League campaign.
Joe Montemurro's side are due back in action next weekend (Sunday, February 7) against Manchester City at Meadow Park.