Atkins makes it three wins out of three at Highbury Fields parkrun
- Credit: Archant
Brent Atkins completed a hat-trick of Highbury Fields parkrun victories with a personal best in another tight finish on Saturday.
Atkins clocked a time of 16 minutes 58 seconds on his third appearance – and third success – at the weekly event, closely followed by previous winners Rob Walker (17:06) and David Hellard (17:37).
In all, 24 of the 109 parkrun entrants achieved personal bests – among them, Caroline Kelly, who led the women home for the 14th time in 19:45, followed by Grace Kimble (20:08) and Kathryn Evans, in a third consecutive pb of 21:56.
The best age grade performance came from Alan Freer (76.95 per cent), with a pb time of 20:19 in the men’s 55-59 category time.
Among the junior ranks, first-timers Leo Hanson (11-14) and Jetmir Syslisufaj (15-17) completed their debut runs in times of 28:01 and 30:43 respectively, while Ciaran Mahindru (15-17) finished in 22:04.
You may also want to watch:
Included among the 23 Highbury Fields newcomers were several runners from SPAT (Social Purpose & Time, a non-profit organisation that provides running, fitness and nutritional programmes to homeless and disadvantaged young people aged 16-24).
Parkrun takes place every Saturday and is open to runners of all ages and abilities, free of charge. Visit www.parkrun.org.uk/highburyfields/ to register or for further information.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
Saturday’s parkrun was organised by volunteers Alicia and David Armet, Jonathan Litchfield, Kim Butler and Jane Tooke.
No previous experience is needed to help out – training will be provided on the day.
You can email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.