Atkins makes it three wins out of three at Highbury Fields parkrun
- Credit: Archant
Brent Atkins completed a hat-trick of Highbury Fields parkrun victories with a personal best in another tight finish on Saturday.
Atkins clocked a time of 16 minutes 58 seconds on his third appearance – and third success – at the weekly event, closely followed by previous winners Rob Walker (17:06) and David Hellard (17:37).
In all, 24 of the 109 parkrun entrants achieved personal bests – among them, Caroline Kelly, who led the women home for the 14th time in 19:45, followed by Grace Kimble (20:08) and Kathryn Evans, in a third consecutive pb of 21:56.
The best age grade performance came from Alan Freer (76.95 per cent), with a pb time of 20:19 in the men’s 55-59 category time.
Among the junior ranks, first-timers Leo Hanson (11-14) and Jetmir Syslisufaj (15-17) completed their debut runs in times of 28:01 and 30:43 respectively, while Ciaran Mahindru (15-17) finished in 22:04.
You may also want to watch:
Included among the 23 Highbury Fields newcomers were several runners from SPAT (Social Purpose & Time, a non-profit organisation that provides running, fitness and nutritional programmes to homeless and disadvantaged young people aged 16-24).
Parkrun takes place every Saturday and is open to runners of all ages and abilities, free of charge. Visit www.parkrun.org.uk/highburyfields/ to register or for further information.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
Saturday’s parkrun was organised by volunteers Alicia and David Armet, Jonathan Litchfield, Kim Butler and Jane Tooke.
No previous experience is needed to help out – training will be provided on the day.
You can email email@example.com for more details.