Australia star confirms return to Middlesex while Morgan resigns as one-day captain
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Middlesex have confirmed the return of Adam Voges as their overseas player – as well as appointing new captains for both of their limited-overs sides.
Voges, who captained Middlesex in the County Championship prior to joining up with Australia’s Ashes side last summer, will resume the role at the start of the campaign.
Although the 36-year-old batsman is expected to miss around two months of the season due to international commitments, he will be replaced by former New Zealand skipper Brendon McCullum during that period.
Middlesex have also appointed Dawid Malan as their new Twenty20 skipper, while James Franklin – who stood in for Voges for much of last season – will lead the side in the Royal London One-day Cup.
The position was vacated by Eoin Morgan – who captained Middlesex in both competitions last year but has since been awarded an ECB central contract as England’s one-day skipper.
You may also want to watch:
Middlesex managing director of cricket Angus Fraser said: “What we have attempted in the past in limited-overs cricket has not produced the results we wanted, so we have decided to try something different.
“This structure will give different individuals the chance to energise and direct a team in a different form of the game. Looking forward, I believe the times when one person will captain every team at a club will be rare.”
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 5 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 8 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 9 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing