Boxing: Angel’s Medi makes winning debut
- Credit: Archant
Angel BC’s Medi Ikoka enjoyed a winning debut on the Lion BC show in Hackney at the weekend.
Ikoka, 23, took on Winston Anumba (Dynamo) over three two-minute rounds at 75kg and took a unanimous points win.
Coach Ross Miller said: “He’s started pretty late but joined us about six months ago and he boxed well. He used his feet well, taking the centre of the ring and keeping his opponent on the back foot in every round.
“He could have used his jab a bit more and we’re hoping he might fight again next month on the Lion/Islington show.”
*Former Islington BC captain Jeffrey Ofori made it five straight professional wins at Bethnal Green’s York Hall.
You may also want to watch:
Super-featherweight Ofori appeared on a British Warrior promotion against Latvian rival Aleksandrs Birkenbergs and started the faster.
The 28-year-old Ofori – back in action after beating Jamie Quinn in February – forced his opponent on to the back foot, switch hitting from ortodox to southpaw and having success with both hands.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 3 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 4 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails
- 8 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 9 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 10 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
Birkenbergs kept dropping his hands low and was in trouble in the third round, as Ofori backed him up against the ropes.
And after seeing Ofori land a cluster of punches, including left and right hooks to head and body, with nothing coming back from the Latvian, referee Mark Bates stepped in to call the fight off after two minutes and 24 seconds.