Boxing: Another busy weekend for Islington BC
- Credit: Archant
Islington Boxing Club had another busy weekend, with three juniors at the White Hart Lane show.
Bek Ikromkhonov, 10, had a skills contest at 34kg with Martin Casey in a rematch from a couple of weeks ago and showed improvement ahead of competitive contests next season.
Cianan Campbell, 10, met Paddy McDonagh in a 34kg bout, after a previous skills contest, and won on a split decision.
And Frankie Watson, 13, got back to winning ways at 36kg against Patrick McDonagh on a unanimous decision, after a good performance.
Alfie Cain ran out of steam on the St Ives ABC show and was stopped in the last round by Billy Baxter, but senior Nathaniel Duah beat Ben Beardsley on a split decision.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, George Bartlett, 14, lost for the first time by the same margin at 47kg to Joshua Viera, from host club Earlsfield ABC.
Three Islington boxers travelled to fight for London against Jersey Leonis ABC, in a match organised by Reggie Hagland and managed by Lenny Hagland.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 6 'I was not jealous': MP Claudia Webbe denies harrasment charge
- 7 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 8 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 9 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 10 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
But Shannon Courtnay’s 58kg bout against Calli Bushell fell through at late notice, before Slavisa Gegic (67kg) extended his winning run to 15 with a dominant display against Harry Bertam, forcing two standing counts with strong lefts and rights and good speed.
Lamin Conteh (72kg) met Shane Coggin in the last bout of the night, with the tie level at 6-6, and despite giving away height and weight his power was too much for the home boxer, who was stopped in the second round.
*Islington’s Isaac Gibson, 10, met Johnny Powell from Chatham St Mary’s in a skills bout in Kent, becoming the 75th boxer to represent Islington this season and performed well against a strong opponent.
Connor Daly beat Robert Casswell in a rematch with a unanimous points win and took the best away boxer award.
*Lewis Whelean-Barone won a split decision against Emmanuel Buttigieg (Pound Lane ABC) at the National Schoolboys’ quarter-finals at Feltham, but Caiden Hughes lost a unanimous decision to European champion Tommy Cole (Pinewood ABC).
Kyron Hughes received a bye after Monty Grimes (The Ring ABC) pulled out with a broken thumb.
The semi-finals take place at Harrow Leisure Centre on Sunday.