Boxing: Chris Cunningham of Islington BC into semi-finals of London Intermediate Championships
- Credit: Archant
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Islington BC under-57kg fighter Chris Cunningham twice battled his way through to victory in the London Intermediate Championships.
The middleweight has improved in each of his outings since joining last season, prompting Cunningham to be entered in the first edition of the championships.
“This has been a good stepping stone for Chris, he competed in a 3x3’s contest for the first time on Friday night and again on Saturday,” said club manager Reggie Hagland. At the Fairbairn ABC open show on Friday, Cunningham defeated Abdol Toure (Dagenham ABC) on a 4-1 split decision.
The Islington boxer conceded the first round, but upped his work rate in the second dug in deep to take victory in the last two rounds.
You may also want to watch:
The next day, Cunningham boxed against Eliab Sissaye (Earlsfield ABC) in a rematch from Islington’s open show in December, comfortably beating his taller opponent.
Cunningham joins teammates Scott Smart, Masood Abdualah, Ewan Jenkins and Ion Olaru in the semi-finals and finals this weekend.
- 1 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 2 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 3 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 8 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 9 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
Connor Daly (U52kgs) is also boxing in the London Youth Championship finals at the same venue.