Boxing: Chris Cunningham of Islington BC into semi-finals of London Intermediate Championships
- Credit: Archant
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Islington BC under-57kg fighter Chris Cunningham twice battled his way through to victory in the London Intermediate Championships.
The middleweight has improved in each of his outings since joining last season, prompting Cunningham to be entered in the first edition of the championships.
“This has been a good stepping stone for Chris, he competed in a 3x3’s contest for the first time on Friday night and again on Saturday,” said club manager Reggie Hagland. At the Fairbairn ABC open show on Friday, Cunningham defeated Abdol Toure (Dagenham ABC) on a 4-1 split decision.
The Islington boxer conceded the first round, but upped his work rate in the second dug in deep to take victory in the last two rounds.
You may also want to watch:
The next day, Cunningham boxed against Eliab Sissaye (Earlsfield ABC) in a rematch from Islington’s open show in December, comfortably beating his taller opponent.
Cunningham joins teammates Scott Smart, Masood Abdualah, Ewan Jenkins and Ion Olaru in the semi-finals and finals this weekend.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 8 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 9 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 10 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
Connor Daly (U52kgs) is also boxing in the London Youth Championship finals at the same venue.