Boxing: Islington BC fighter Slavisa Gegic triumphs at BUCS Championships
- Credit: Archant
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Islington BC prospect Slavisa Gegic won the under-64kg title at the British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS) Championships in Stoke-on-Trent.
Gegic, a biological sciences student at London Metropolitan University, beat Daniel Walshe of Cardiff University in the quarter-finals.
Gegic then comfortably defeated Loughborough University rival Harry Pendered-Mazer in the semis.
In the final, Gegic came up against Omar Berry of Portsmouth University, with both fighters having unbeaten records.
You may also want to watch:
After a slow start, the Islington BC hope went through the gears to ultimately beat Berry on a unanimous points decision.
“I’m very proud of becoming BUCS champion, I’m the first boxer from Islington Boxing Club and London Met University to win this title,” said Gegic.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 4 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 5 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 6 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 7 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 8 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 9 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 10 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
“This means a lot to me and hopefully this is the first of my amateur boxing honours.
“I know it will be tough to match me as I’m currently undefeated but I’ve still got plenty to work on.”