Boxing: Islington BC fighter Slavisa Gegic triumphs at BUCS Championships
- Credit: Archant
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Islington BC prospect Slavisa Gegic won the under-64kg title at the British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS) Championships in Stoke-on-Trent.
Gegic, a biological sciences student at London Metropolitan University, beat Daniel Walshe of Cardiff University in the quarter-finals.
Gegic then comfortably defeated Loughborough University rival Harry Pendered-Mazer in the semis.
In the final, Gegic came up against Omar Berry of Portsmouth University, with both fighters having unbeaten records.
You may also want to watch:
After a slow start, the Islington BC hope went through the gears to ultimately beat Berry on a unanimous points decision.
“I’m very proud of becoming BUCS champion, I’m the first boxer from Islington Boxing Club and London Met University to win this title,” said Gegic.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 5 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 8 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 9 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
“This means a lot to me and hopefully this is the first of my amateur boxing honours.
“I know it will be tough to match me as I’m currently undefeated but I’ve still got plenty to work on.”