Boxing: Islington BC look back on yet another superb year of success
- Credit: Archant
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Islington Boxing Club had another active season in and out of the ring; the 2016/17 season had 57 boxers compete at least once out of 86 carded amateurs.
The early weeks of the season saw the London rounds of the National Development Championships, where Jerome Campbell triumphed for the club.
Amy Broadhurst travelled to Ireland for the Celtic Box Cup in September, where she won gold and the ‘best female boxer’ award in her home country.
Islington hosted their first show of the season in November which saw Mason Smith defend his Southern Area title against Jacob Gabriel (Basingstoke ABC).
You may also want to watch:
The club hosted an open show at the Boston Dome in Tufnell Park in December with a total of 13 contests which all featured a home boxer on one side of the bill.
In December, Smith was given the news that he passed his GB Podium Potential assessment, and now trains at the E.I.S, Sheffield every fortnight amongst the very best boxers in Britain.
- 1 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 2 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 3 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 8 'It's crippling us': Islington's theatres and pubs disheartened by lockdown extension
- 9 Islington shooting victim named
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
Islington won two gold medals in the annual Golden Girls Box Cup in Sweden, where one of the medallists was Sunni Torgman in only her second contest for the club.
A third home show arranged by the club took place at the Boston Dome in February.
Islington’s fourth home show of the season was held soon after, when IBC provided the boxing and profits from the show raised went to the ‘Hire A Hero’ charity.
Islington entered a strong team of 11 boxers into the Elite Championships, with victory for Campbell and Cherrelle Brown in their respective divisions.
Islington hosted their last show of the season at the Royal National Hotel, Russell Square in May.
Jenson Curtin and Connor Daly won gold medals at the annual Hull Box Cup tournament in June.
Sunni Torgman continued Islington’s excellent record in the Haringey Box Cup of at least claiming one gold medal per year in its 10th edition of the tournament held at Alexandra Palace.
The club ended the season with a fine team win against BC Landau in very close and competitive contests away to the Bavarians.
It was the end of another superb season for Islington, and they will hope to emulate that success in 2017/18.