Boxing: Islington BC trio succeed at London Intermediate Championships, as youngsters impress across south of England
- Credit: Archant
The latest news from the local boxing scene
There was success for three Islington BC senior boxers at the London Intermediate Championships in Dagenham.
Under-60kg entry Masood Abdulah, under-64kg fighter Ewan Jenkins and under-81kg boxer Ion Olaru all triumphed in their respective divisions.
Abdulah was drawn in a straight final against Fahad Salum of Lansbury and the Islington man started well, pushing his opponent onto the back foot.
However, Abdulah switched off in the second round, allowing Salum back into the contest.
You may also want to watch:
At the end of the second, it was discovered that Abdulah had sustained an arm injury earlier in the fight, but he gamely continued.
Going into the final round, the fight was still there for the taking and Abdulah did enough to triumph.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Islington shooting victim named
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
Jenkins, meanwhile, began his efforts in Dagenham with a semi-final success against Jahid Munim of West Ham.
In the final, Jenkins took on Earlsfield rival Alfie Winters, who tried his best to force the contest early on.
Though Jenkins was deducted a point for pushing Winters’ head down, the Islington boxer edged a thrilling final to win the title.
Olaru also had to come through a semi-final first, beating Martin Dimitrov of Dagenham in his debut fight for Islington.
Niall Hatton of West Ham was Olaru’s opponent in the final, but the Islington man capped a fine debut weekend for the club by claiming the title.
Chris Cunningham was another Islington man in action in Dagenham, but was beaten by Fairbairn boxer Joshua Gustave in the final of the under-75kg category.
There was also plenty of success for the club’s juniors across the south of England over the weekend.
On a Lion show in Hoxton, 14-year-old Roxanne Fraser produced a solid showing to beat Diamond Scarlett of Harrow.
On the same show, club mate Marty McDonagh, who was originally due to take part in a skills contest, defeated home hope Kacey Crickmar.
Twin brothers Kyren and Caiden Hughes travelled to Surrey to fight on a Guildford City show.
Both 14-year-olds turned in a great display in their respective bouts to secure successes, with a first club win for Caiden.